Today: October 22 2018
russian English greek latvian French German Chinese (Simplified) Arabic hebrew

All that you will be interested in knowing about Cyprus on our website Cyplive.com
the most informative resource about Cyprus in runet

Kakopetria

Kakopetria and Galata on the right called the guardians of the Byzantine churches. It is away from the beaten tracks in the Troodos Mountains preserved a truly unique architectural monuments of the Cyprus church - the church under a gable roof with ancient frescos.

Attractions Kakopetria

Church of the Holy Sozomenosa in Galata

In 2005 the treasury of the world cultural heritage by UNESCO joined the temple of the Holy Sozomenos in Galata, built on donations from the villagers in the XVI century. Temple vaulted, with a wooden roof. This is one of the few churches in Cyprus, which survived all the decoration of the whole. All the internal walls of the church frescoes. Decorated with frescoes, and the outer part of the north wall. Above the west entrance there ktitorskih inscription, which mentioned the names of the donors, the name of the artist (Simeon Aksenty) and year decoration church frescoes (1513 city).

In 2005 the treasury of the world cultural heritage by UNESCO joined the temple of the Holy Sozomenos in Galata, built on donations from the villagers in the XVI century. Temple vaulted, with a wooden roof. This is one of the few churches in Cyprus, which survived all the decoration of the whole. All the internal walls of the church frescoes. Decorated with frescoes, and the outer part of the north wall. Above the west entrance there ktitorskih inscription, which mentioned the names of the donors, the name of the artist (Simeon Aksenty) and year decoration church frescoes (1513 city).

The architectural composition of the church structure is simple. It is a traditional basilica with a semi-circular apse in the east, a wooden ceiling and a steep gable roof, covering not only the single central nave of the building, but a later attached gallery surrounding the church on three sides. Such a construction design has allowed to save up to our days almost the only church in Cyprus, in which the cycle of stories about the life of the Virgin is widely represented. Rich, beautifully preserved frescoes, decorating not only the interior interior, but also the outer walls of the church, give it a special charm and uniqueness.

It should tell you a bit about the Holy Sozomenos, which was erected in honor of the ancient church in the village of Galata. For more information about his righteous life are unknown to us, but the people preserved legends tell that on the island of Saint Sozomenos appeared at the beginning of the V century. Fleeing from the persecution of the Saracens, he was among the 300 Christians had to leave their native lands of Syria and move to Cyprus.

Not far from the abandoned Nicosia is now the village of Agios Sozomenos, near the village of Potamia is his cave dwelling.

The village is situated in 12 km from Nicosia, the island's capital, and a little away from the so-called "Green Line." Due to the fact that Cyprus is divided into two parts, the Greek and Turkish, was built between the buffer zone longer than 180 km, now known as the "Green Line." In 1964 of Major General Peter Young, commander of the peacekeeping forces, green crayon held on the map line, hence the name of the buffer zone.

So, in this village, on the slopes of the hill is carved in stone rocky monastery, where he lived a holy hermit Sozomenos (Sozomen). The cave cell preserved tomb of the saint and frescoes, the most ancient layers of which date back to X century.

In the few remnants of ancient murals Cypriot researchers have a better idea of ​​the shape and operation of the saint. From flavored rock frescoes, scientists learned that many years of his life dedicated Sozomenos medicine and care of sick and infirm, treated for fever and wrote a book about Eastern Orthodoxy and religious beliefs.

The church, erected in his honor, on the outside wall of the building survived a unique painting, which depicted the seven ecumenical councils that unified the Ancient Church had not yet split into East and West, where Christianity has lived under the unwritten motto "Unity in diversity", and when in theological debates and discussions around the issues of faith consummated the triumph of Christianity. Thus, the frescoes of the church of St. Sozomenos immortalized unique scientifically subjects.

Interesting are murals with images of women-saints, whose images are not often found in ancient temples. These are the holy martyrs of Paraskeva, Kyriak, Varvara and Katerina. Figures of young beautiful women in rich clothes embroidered with stones and pearls adorn the lower and middle tiers of the southern wall of the nave. The most interesting is the image of the Cyprian holy martyr Kyriaki, whose name in Greek means the last day of the week - "Sunday". The attire of the Holy One is covered with medallions, in which the faces personalize the days of the Holy Week. The idea of ​​creating such an image entirely belongs to Cypriot artists and originates in the early Hellenistic traditions.

Church of the Archangels in Galata

Church of Archangelos Michael, or Panagia Theotokos - a chapel with a wooden roof, situated right on the outskirts of the village. Its walls are completely covered with paintings of post-Byzantine style of the beginning of the XVI century.

Kaliana Khan Inn

The restored inn is of particular interest to fans of the original rural architecture of Cyprus.

Church of St. George under the roof

The Church of Agios Georgios Perahoritis in the eastern part of the village is known for its very ancient wall paintings of the first half of the XVI century.

Church of the Holy Podithou in Galata

The church that once belonged to the monastery was built in the year 1502. The monastery was destroyed at the end of 19 century. The temple was built at the expense of the Greek Dimitrios1a de Corona, who was in the service of King James II. Its walls were not completely painted. Those that are, almost all were made at the same time when the temple was built. They are made in the Italo-Byzantine style.

During the period of Venetian rule in Cyprus church was built near the village of Panagia Podithou Galata. As the inscription on the outside is dedicated to the top of the west wall, the temple was built in 1502, and its founders were Coron Demetrios Greek officer in the service of King James II and his wife Elena. Although it is unknown when the church dedicated to the Virgin Mary, called Podithou, it is considered the main church of the monastery of the same name, has ceased to exist in the early XIX century.

The church is not painted entirely, the murals cover only the outer side of the western wall, the triangle of the western wall from the inside, the triangle of the eastern wall, the apse and the eastern part of the north and south walls. Simultaneously with the creation of the frescoes, a wooden iconostasis was also erected, the gilding of which was renewed in 1783. In the paintings of Panagia Podit, dating mainly from the beginning of the 15th century, the Italian Renaissance seeks to exalt the image and its monumentality. Images of Christ, the Mother of God, archangels and saints are simultaneously represented by the sublime and human, they are idealized and at the same time filled with life. The asceticism of Oriental religious painting gave way here to the bright and joyful colors of Western painting, its three-dimensional perception of the body and space, the desire to capture movement and emotions. The artistic value of the frescoes lies in the interweaving of two traditions - the Byzantine and Italian Renaissance.

Along with the image of Our Lady of the apse, the scene of the Communion of the Apostles is among the finest examples of Italian-Byzantine school on the island, which appeared in Cyprus in the late XV century, after the Venetians occupied the island in 1489 year. This school has combined classical elements with the peculiarities of the Byzantine tradition of the Italian Renaissance in its Venetian version, combining secular pompous and lofty spirituality.

A special grace of movement marked by the image of Mary in the scene of the Annunciation to the south of the wall of the apse. Seated Mary meets the gospel explosion of emotions swirl twists her body in the S-shaped bend, inherited from the Gothic expression. Unusually fine prescribed folds of his cloak with stars give the image a special charm and make it stand out in a series of iconographic images in the local fresco.

In the spirit of the local traditions of construction covers gable roof of flat tiles.

The temple is under the protection of UNESCO 1985 year.

Church of St. Paraskeva

In the small church of Agia Paraskevi on the old Kakopetria-Galata road frescoes 1514 years.

Saint Nicholas Church under the roof

The Church of Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis (literally "the church of St. Nicholas with a roof") is located in 5 km north of the village of Kakopetria and once belonged to the monastery. Its walls are decorated with paintings fully XI - XVII centuries. It is considered one of the most interesting Byzantine churches on the island. The church got its name from the high, excessively steep wooden roof, which was built in such a way as to protect the church from adverse climatic conditions.

First dvuhkryshnoy Church in Cyprus was the Church of St. Nicholas in Kakopetria (Church of St. Nicholas under the double roof), located south of the village of Kakopetria, at the foot of the Troodos Mountains, built in XI century. in the name of St. Nicholas and the entrance sometime in the monastery complex of the same name.

Church of St. Nicholas under the double roof - is one of the most important religious monuments in Cyprus. The name "St. Nicholas under the double roof" because the temple was erected over the roof to protect it from rain and snow, so frequent in the mountainous region.

Well preserved to our days, the Church of St. Nicholas - a typical Byzantine cross-domed church. Restoration work, which has been carried out repeatedly in it for many centuries, has somewhat changed its original form. At the beginning of the XII century. the narthex, crowned with a dome, was attached to the cathedral, and by the end of the century the temple was covered with a steep gable roof, under which now lies the cross-shaped arch and dome. The need for additional protection of the original church structure and its unique wall paintings from the devastating effects of snows, rains and winds so frequent in this mountainous area was obvious.

The monastic complex flourished both in the Byzantine period and in the years of the domination of the Frankish kings in Cyprus. The interior of the church - its numerous ancient wall paintings of the XI century and a large icon of St. Nicholas XIII century, donated to the temple by Frankish knights and imprinted images of the donors themselves, confirm this. Today the icon of St. Nicholas is exhibited in the Byzantine Museum of the Cultural Foundation of Archbishop Makarios III in Nicosia. In 1633, the monastery buildings and the church were renovated. The last monk of the monastery, the father of Gerasimos, died in 1808, at that time the property and buildings of the monastery were described and then rented, which was preserved in the ancient registers of the Archbishopric of Cyprus.

The monastery was destroyed in the second half of the XIX century, but the monastery church was preserved. A little to the south of the church there is a small two-story building, which, in all probability, served as the residence of the last monk. The ruins around the church suggest that in their best years, a significant number of monks lived in the monastery. In the meadow called "Tombs of Bishops", on which a lot of stones are scattered, according to legend, bishops who died at the hands of the Ottomans are buried. The interior of the church is called the "Museum of Byzantine Art". This is one of the few places in Cyprus where frescos of the 11th-17th centuries were preserved in a limited space. Frescoes were cleared on the initiative of the Department of Antiquities. Several frescoes were transferred, and thus more ancient frescoes were discovered, which were later, added later in the 11th century.

The paintings of the 11th century remained fragmentary. They are distinguished by the richness of characteristic features, the definiteness of the figured outlines, the pronounced color palette and the inner spirituality of the images. Much to our regret, until our days only some paintings of the 11th century survived. These include the traditional image in the apse (altar) of Our Lady surrounded by the archangels Michael and Gabriel, the Transfiguration and Resurrection of Lazarus, fragments of the Assumption of the Virgin and the fresco of St. Nicholas, in the left corner of which the image of the donor who paid for its creation is immortalized. The panoramic composition of Forty Martyrs of Sebastei dates back to the 12th century and is dedicated to the first Christians who martyred. Skillfully using a system of pictorial means, a skilful artist, whose name we do not know, managed to recreate figuratively an integral picture of the ancient Christian legend.

In the temple, except for the frescoes, and the text is prominent Russian traveler Vasili Barsky, as well as references to persons who have made gifts to the monastery.

A fresco with a rare iconographic type of Saint Mary breast feeding the Divine child, written to the right of the iconostasis, was created in the XIV century. It has kept the original colors and colors and has never been restored from the moment of its creation. The church iconostasis of the 17th century, which separates the altar space from the entire church, reflects the transition period in the formation of the modern. It combines various structural elements: the already gone templon with the cells for the icons and the Byzantine wall-barrier with the main icons of Christ and the Mother of God placed on either side of the central entrance to the altar, which is closed by a curtain.

With 1985 the church is under the protection of UNESCO.

Today, next to the Church of St. Nicholas are placed buildings residential ensemble of the Archdiocese of Cyprus.

GTranslate Your license is inactive or expired, please subscribe again!