Between the ancient kingdoms of Kourion and Amathus located after the second largest city of Nicosia, Cyprus - Limassol.
Kingdom of Amathus 1191 year was destroyed by Richard the Lionheart. Perhaps at the same time the foundation was laid in Limassol (Lemesos). People found burial dating II millennium BC, said that the settlement is formed much earlier.
At the time when Cyprus came Richard the Lionheart, the island was part of the Byzantine Empire, and his head was Isaac Comnenus, a relative of the emperor. It is believed that the English king was originally not planned conquest of the island, but after his boat bride Berengaria of Navarre storm had washed ashore, and Isaac, who did not like the Latins, not help them, moreover, did not even allow them to land on the shore , angered Richard, sailing to another track on the ship went ashore Limassol and ordered its residents to pay tribute to the Crusaders. It was here in Lemassole, Richard married Berengaria. Byzantine church where the ceremony was held, was destroyed by an earthquake, and in its place the Templars and later Lusignan castle was built, which were demolished and rebuilt again. Now this castle Museum of Archaeology and Museum of Medieval Cyprus.
After the reign of the city owned Lusignan Venetians, Ottomans and British. If the Venetians were interested only in taxes received from Cyprus, the efforts of the British Limassol became the largest shopping center and a huge port, it is so it remained to this day.
In 3 km west of the temple of Apollo was located Curio Hilatskogo, majestic ruins of which can still be seen today.
The Crusaders, having possession of Cyprus, there developed a stormy economic activity. From built in the XV century castle Kolossi Order of ion exchangers controlled by vineyards and plantations of sugar cane. It is here produced wine Commandaria, which is the same as the Baths of Aphrodite - the most important attractions of Limassol and Cyprus in general. In honor of this wine was named, and the area where it is produced.
British built a seaport through which today most of the products are exported to Cyprus and from the same source sent passenger marine vessels.
Limassol district for the last two decades have been built up with hotels, we offer more than a hundred. In itouge the city became one of the main centers of tourism in Cyprus is concentrated specifics of recreation and life on the island of Aphrodite. The unique beauty of the Mediterranean coast, mild climate and decent accommodations do Limassol most attractive holiday destination. Here are placed almost all well-known wineries.
If Nicosia attractions which not less unique, considered the administrative capital of the Republic, the Limassol - the main business center of the country. Most offshore companies have established their offices in Limassol. Convenient location of the city and the hospitality of local residents attract most foreigners. For example, many Russians choose this place for permanent residence. Here are more of them than any other city in Cyprus.
Limassol Cyprus is home to the carnival, there is the famous Cypriot wine festival.
City stretches along the coast from west to east, nearly 15 km. Limassol has three main tourist areas: the central area (Old Town), Potamos Yermasoyias (5 km from the center) and Amathus (8 km from the center). Most hotels have their sandy beaches, offering a huge range of water sports and entertainment. Architectural and historic sites are concentrated in the central part of the city. In the old city is better to walk on foot, so you can feel the spirit of ancient Limassol.
If you come not only rest on Cyprus, Limassol can additionally offer excellent opportunities for shopping. For an active holiday there is everything you need: an endless series of restaurants, bars, taverns and nightclubs around the clock offering entertainment for every taste and wealth.
The beach area of Limassol begins at the end of the eastern Palm Tree Promenade and stretches towards Larnaca 10 km. On a rental car, you can ride to the ruins of the ancient Kourion, ibid nearby beach Curium Beach. All the beaches of Limassol for free, but for a sunbed and parasol will need to pay.
The city and its surrounding area has a lot of curious and interesting monuments and attractions that have great historical value.
Limassol recognized as a center of business activity in Cyprus, is a haven for offshore companies, fruit and wine center "capital" of the island.
Limassol - a port city on 15km stretches along the southern coast of Cyprus. Here lives a 150 thousand inhabitants, but during the peak tourist season the population increases manifold.
Habitat for most tourists is a large area to the east of the Old Port. This is where the center of Limassol tourist infrastructure: hotels, hotels, private pensions. Most of the streets of Limassol stand to walk around them, because here you can see the houses of the old buildings, and visit picturesque coffee shops, cozy restaurants with excellent cuisine and souvenir shops, rich crafts of local artists.
Limassol city holiday, unlike the "museum" of Nicosia, noisy and crowded loves fun, carnivals and similar shows that its incendiary attract visiting onlookers. In February and March, the city is famous carnival Apokreo it Cypriot national pride, the fame of which shatters all the Mediterranean.
July in Limassol given under the influence of art, which are devoted to annual festivals. These days the streets of Limassol transformed into scenic sites, art galleries and concert stage on which artists and bands of all genres and styles.
September welcomes guests flows ruby wine. In his honor organized by the most happy and cheerful holiday island - Wine Festival, where the lovers of this drink from all over the world.
Going on Cyprus, Limassol, tourists should visit necessarily, because this is where a wide range of attractions, museums and archaeological sites. You can visit the distilleries, which serves to observe the process of making wine and taste the final product. Near the Old Harbour Castle, which in 1191 was the marriage of Richard the Lionheart and Berengaria of Navarre, who later became Queen of England.
Next door to the Old Port Castle, where he was awarded 1191 alliance between Richard the Lionheart and Berengaria of Navarre, later Queen of England. The castle is located Medieval Museum, where among the many exhibits are interesting pottery and tombstones.
Castle that we see today is a reconstruction of the period of Turkish rule in the XIX century. It was built by governor Richard, the French governor of Guy de Lusignan of Cyprus. The castle was destroyed several times by earthquakes and wars, it was used as a prison and a defensive fortress, there was also a church.
According to assumptions, it is in this chapel church union between Richard and Berengaria, here he declared her Queen of England. Stories of their marriage know that Richard came to the island by chance, making a voyage to Jerusalem with his sister Joanna Sicilian bride and Berengaria of Navarre. The ship that sailed the Queen, was thrown to the shores of Cyprus during a violent storm. When Richard arrived for his companions, he learned that Isaac Comnenus, the governor of Cyprus and a hater of all latynyan, not only did not help the victims, but not allowed to go ashore queens. Angered by Richard punishment attacked the island and captured it, and later played a wedding in Limassol.
The program of the tour of the castle includes a visit to the Museum of the Middle Ages. Collection presented therein exhibits covers a large part of the history of Cyprus, starting with the history of early Christianity (400 year) and ending during the reign of the Turks (1870 AD).
On the ground floor of the museum are photographs of churches and temples Cyprus Byzantine period, as well as sculptures and paintings from the Hagia Sophia in Nicosia.
The exposition presented first floor antique items from the church in Nicosia and Ambrosia: This mural tombstones dating from the XIII-XIV centuries, armor and heraldic symbols of noble families of the time.
The second floor is divided into small rooms. There is an impressive collection of weapons and ammunition found in the Christian stronghold of Tripoli. Pistols, guns, swords and Turkish. Here you can see the collection of jewelry and pottery from different periods. Hence, too, from the second floor staircase leads to the site. From a platform the panorama of the city, and if you climb to the roof of the castle, an overview will be much wider.
AddressSt. Richard and Berengaria (Richard and Berengaria Street).
Getting there: By bus or taxi ride to the old port of Limassol, next to which is the castle.
Hours of operationFrom Monday to Saturday from 9: 00 to 17: 00, on Sunday from 10: 00 to 13: 00.
Phone(25) 305 419
Limassol District Archaeological Museum is located near the city park. This repository contains the amazing exhibits from the Neolithic period and the Roman Empire, most of which were found during excavations at Kourion, Amathus and other villages in the vicinity of Limassol. Also in the park you can see previously owned Lord Kitchner sundial.
Archaeological Museum with 1951 year was in the castle of Limassol, and after nearly a quarter century was moved to the present building, which consists of three large halls, corridors and atriums.
In the first room of the museum exhibits archaeological relics found in ancient caves in southern Akrotiri Limassol. This subjects the Neolithic (7000-3900 years BC), Chalcolithic (3900-2600 years BC), the Bronze Age (2030-1050 years. BCE) Hellenistic era (325 - 58 yy BC) and the Roman period (58 BC-330 AD. e.). All these ancient objects found near the villages of Cyprus and the surrounding areas, such as the island of Crete. This pottery, pots without ornaments, jars and tools made of stone and stone idols.
Deeply surprising mastery of the first artisans: even guns Bronze Age copper alloy melted, while in a special decorated and decorated. The hall can also be seen in the form of plain figures of sacred animals, busts of plaster, glass and ivory. Many Mycenaean artifacts such as pottery cup with elegant thin handle, which applied simple ornament. About the Bronze Age and of the Hellenistic era can be judged only on archeological finds, as written evidence has survived. In addition to local Limassol exhibits include artifacts found and brought from Amathus and Kourion, for example, there are 6 amphorae dating 2300 BC.
In the second room as exhibits act decorations come to us from 1700 BC, as well as Roman coins and even antique razors.
The most valuable finds, which include the statue of the Egyptian god Bes and the statue of Artemis found in Amathus, exhibited in the third room of the museum. Here the surviving fragments of other divine statues. A huge statue of the Egyptian god of fertility - Besa - was found on the Amathus area, she is mute evidence that the pagan deities had their admirers and the period of Roman rule. Archaeological finds suggest that the culture of Cyprus, despite the isolation of geographic location, influenced by other civilizations, such as Greek and Egyptian.
Address: Intersection of Lord Vyronos (Lordou Vyronos) and Kanikos (Kannigcos), in the northern part of the city park.
Getting there: Take a taxi or bus from the center of Limassol.
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday from 7: 30 to 17: 00, Saturday from 9: 00 to 17: 00, 10.00 up to 13: 00.
Entrance fee: (50 cents).
Phone: (05) 330-132.
The Catholic Church of St. Catherine was built in 1879 year in Limassol and today represents one of the few Catholic places of worship in Cyprus.
Architect Friar Francescoda Mangidoro from Bologna in the interior of the building used a Baroque style facade, built in the form of a portico, designed in an eclectic style. Arches and walls decorated with frescoes in the apse of the neo-Byzantine style, they were created during the restoration in 1979 year.
Church, towering above the beach at the end of the promenade of Limassol, has two towers. It operates today. Here are held the Mass every day (service): from Monday to Friday in 18.30 (in English and in Greek), on Saturdays at 18.30 (in English); Sunday - 8.00 (in Greek), 9.30 (in Greek), 11.00 (in Latin), 18.30 (in English).
Address: Limassol Street. 28 Oktovpiy (Octovriou), 259.
Phone.: 25 362946.
In the XIX century restored building on rue Saint Andreas is a museum of folk art. Here are collected porcelain, pottery, jewelry, and traditional clothing.
Collection of Cypriot artists of XIX and XX centuries, occupies a total 6 halls. The exposition consists of vintage items such as work tools and utensils, jewelry and folk craftsmen products, for example, net curtains, bedding and blankets, which are traditionally kept in sentoukia - decorative chest dowry for the bride.
AddressSt. St. Andreas (Agiou Andreou), 253.
Phone. 25 30 54 19.
Hours of operationJune-September: up to 8.30 13.00 and 15.00 17.30 up on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 8.30 13.00 up on Wednesdays; October-May: up to 8.30 13.00 and 16.00 18.00 up on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 8.30 13.00 up on Wednesdays.
Fortification, called Colossus, located in 11 km west of Limassol in the homonymous village. The castle itself was rebuilt in the XV century on the ruins of a medieval fortress of the XIII century. Initially, in 1291 year Crusaders settled here, and in the XIV century, they were replaced by the Knights of St John, known to the world as the Knights of Malta, they are called ion exchangers. They are engaged in the cultivation of sugar cane and grapes. It is believed that the famous Cypriot wine "Commander" has gone from here.
Castle is an example of military architecture, it has a square shape like a tower. This building height 21 meter has narrow embrasures and observation platform from which you can see at a glance the coast. All four walls of the fortress are equal in length, which is outside 16 m, and inside - 13,5 m from earthquakes castle defended structural stability and impressive wall thickness. It is accessible by suspension bridge, long before it was over the ledge, which is scheduled to be poured on the uninvited guests boiling oil or molten lead.
Once inside the fortress, you can see two large rooms, one of which is the sheer size fireplace and staircase, spiral leading to the second floor.
Roof lookout enclosed with battlements, was restored in 1933 year. Unfortunately, the castle premises are empty, its historical past speaks only fresco of the crucifixion, which is located in one of the halls.
Location: In 13 km west of Limassol on the road to Paphos, in the village of Kolossi.
Getting there: Take a taxi or bus from Limassol.
Hours of operationDaily from 07: 30 to 17: 00 (from 07: 30 to 19: 30 summer).
In the village of Episkopi in 14 km west of Limassol is a museum founded in honor of Kourion. Here are exhibited objects found during excavations of the ancient Kourion and nearby places. The museum was given to the first floor two-storey building in the style of folk architecture, which was built in 1937 year. A distinctive feature of this building is a large veranda on the second floor, which stands on three transverse arches, located on the ground floor from the front side of the building.
The upper floor consists of a central hall and two large rooms, which are used as a dormitory for archaeologists, both foreigners and Cypriots working in Kourion.
Showrooms are located on the ground floor in two large rooms, a small room on the west side of the lower floor is the museum curator's office and the long room in the east wing used as a workshop for restoration work.
In the museum you can see all kinds of ceramics, sculpture, various inscriptions, coins and other works of art found in Kourion and its surroundings, as well as in the sanctuary and the necropolis Applona Gilad Agios Germogenis and Kaloriziki. These items are exhibited in the exhibition hall of the west. Among them: the samples restored mosaics, marble cladding and other decorative elements of the early Christian basilica in the form of ceramics, marble statues of Asclepius, Hermes (2 century BC) and other bronze candlestick with Kurionskoy area, as well as coins and other interesting exhibits .
In the exhibition hall of the present east of the sanctuary of Apollo objects, cemeteries and Phaneromeni Bambuly, tombs discovered in the vicinity of Episkopi. Of particular interest are samples of various tools and household utensils of gold and ivory, as well as jewelry and other small finds dating back 1900-1050 years. BC Also eastern hall of the museum is decorated with terracotta figurines, marble statues, amulets made of steatite, which were found in the sanctuary of Apollo Hylates.
All the exhibits are accompanied by brief describing their history texts on small plates and are complemented by a variety of photographs and plans. In the yard and a shed in the backyard kept some finds from the sanctuary of Apollo, and Curio, not included in the main exhibition of the Museum due to severe injuries.
The museum is open every day (except Sundays) from 7-30 to 14-00.
Ancient city-state of Kourion was founded in XII century BC and is one of the most famous attractions of Cyprus. It is believed that it was built by the Greeks involved in the Trojan War. In order to ensure the safety of residents, it was built on 70-meter cliff. However, in the IV century, the city was destroyed in the earthquake, and in the VII century, escaping from the raids of the Arab conquerors, the city last residents left. In the middle of the XIX century, most historical treasures were removed from the island by foreigners.
In the former homes and Roman baths (term) preserved mosaic of fish and birds, which are symbols of early Christianity. This finding suggests that residents Curio Christianity was adopted around the IV century BC. Interesting floor mosaics preserved in nymphs Evstoliya House, the House of Achilles and the House of Gladiators.
Greco-Roman amphitheater Kourion was built in the II century BC and later expanded it 400 years. In 1963 the theater was renovated and converted into a horseshoe towards the sea, today it can accommodate 3,5 thousand spectators. During the summer arranged presentation of a Greek tragedy and concerts.
Long beach with gray-brown sand and pebble beach is below the edge of the archaeological zone at the edge of the bay.
Excavations are open for inspection daily 7.30 19.30 to the summer season, and to 7.30 17.00 between c 1 31 October to May.
At the beginning of XX century composer born in Cyprus Anastasia Guy decided to realize their cherished dream - to create a wine museum in Cyprus, because here the wine produce more than five millennia. Museum, it was decided to justify the family home, Anastasia, they know more than a century. Erimi village was chosen because it lies at the crossroads of Cyprus wine roads, connecting the center of Limassol Cyprus wine with well-known wine-producing village of Omodos and Platres. Another advantage in the selection of the village is the fact of its neighborhood, on the one hand, the ancient settlement of Cyprus - Sotira, where during the excavations scientists have found grape seeds (the oldest finds of the Mediterranean), and on the other hand, nearby is the village of Kolossi where It is a Crusader castle, which gave the name of the most famous and oldest in the world of wine "Commandaria".
Area thereof of three floors of the museum adapted to the exposition of photographs and drawings depicting the history of the Cyprus wine. Vintage jugs and vases, wine vessels from the Middle Ages, ancient documents from the private collection of Anastasia Guy demonstrate how wine is made and kept in the distant past. The fascinating process of wine production and zivania detail tell museum guides.
In another room of the museum presents old tools for the treatment of the vine and wine press, with which the inhabitants of the village of Omodos pressed bunches of ripe grapes. Central exhibits are red wine jug, created by craftsmen of this place at the beginning of the Bronze Age, and measuring jug, which was used in 18-19 centuries. Enormous size terracotta jug for fermentation and storage of wine, dating 1783 year, can be seen in the next room of the museum.
Under the collection gathered by the best wines of Cyprus, given the first floor of the house, and the tasting room is provided "Hilarion". Here you can relax by eating a variety of wines from the white light produced from grapes Ksinestri to deep red varieties of Mavro, ophthalmia and Marafevtiko. The main collection takes place in the Cypriot wine "Commandaria", which Richard the Lionheart called "the wine of kings and queen of wines'. This wine was the only drink at the wedding of Richard Beregariey Navarre, which was held in honor of the feast 12 May 1191 year.
This wine is made from grapes which ripen only in some regions of Cyprus. As if champagne can be called only that the wine produced in the French province of Champagne, everything else just sparkling wines, and "Commander" can be called only wine that is produced only five major wineries of Cyprus (everything else - fake).
Technology of production of "Commander" is very specific, so it is produced only in the state named spetsrayonah. The government controls the entire production cycle, during which from 5 kg of grapes is obtained per liter of wine. Next, it is aged for two years in oak casks. Thereafter, the State Committee for tasting "Commander" takes the sample, and if the wine they like, they write permission for its sale.
It is believed that 1210, when the Order of the Hospital of the King of Cyprus, Hugh I de Lusignan were obtained possession of the land and island villages near Colossus, was built of Grand Commander - Commander's residence and the main command post of the Order. Knights produced wine (very valuable while in Europe) from grapes grown in the area. It was then that wine produced in Cyprus, has been called "Commander".
The fact that the "Commander" was known in Europe, shows the first ever wine competition, held under the auspices of the French king Philip II Augustus 1213 year, as well as "The Feast of the Kings five" held in London in 1362 year.
During the Middle Ages this wine was made for export, because at that time it was the kind of income Cyprus. Nowadays it is used for Communion during the liturgy.
Besides exhibitions museum visitors have the opportunity to watch a movie about all stages of the production of wine, starting with planting vines and ending with bottling. It is worth noting that the film is intended for people of all nationalities, as there is not a single word is not pronounced. History and modernity Cyprus wine appears via video and musical accompaniment, handwritten Anastasia Guy, founder of the museum.
Naturally, the wine museum in Erimi making its invaluable contribution to the development of tourism and culture of Cyprus.
Temple of Apollo Hylates - the abode of God majestic forests, located near the city of Kourion, on the side of the road opposite the Limassol-Paphos. This building dates back to the II century AD.
To date, the building is well preserved. The complex is a typical Cypriot pagan temple. Looking at it, we can distinguish three periods of its construction: Archaic sanctuary, Ptolemaic and Roman sanctuary. In the ancient temple of Apollo Hylates Archaic sanctuary conceals another, built much later and dating from the second half of the first century AD. The complex consists of palaestras, roofed colonnade (stoa), treasury, archaic temenos (sacred place), circular monument, courtyard and the Temple of Apollo.
The vast space housed in a series of colonnades with crumbling walls of buildings and fences. This sanctuary is one of the most significant of the surviving Cyprus arose in VIII century BC. In the Archaic period, this area consisted of a yard, fenced, and a small room. Later this place was built more spacious sanctuary, monuments which already assigned to the Roman period.
To the sanctuary are two roads - to the west of Paphos and from east of Curio. Visitors come here through the western gate, from which today are preserved only base flanked them in times past columns. Gates lead to a large, irregularly shaped paved courtyard is surrounded by a variety of religious premises. Wide left of the gate partially restored staircase which leads to the so-called north-western building overlooking the platform. This building is poorly preserved, you can see his internal layout: the axis of the building is divided into two elongated space, each of them along the walls are platforms, framed by pillars. Under assumptions of researchers on these platforms were placed votive sculptures, which are presented as a gift to God.
Along the south side of the yard stretches monumental Doric portico covering the southern facade of the building. It consists of five equally planned isolated premises. In each of them along the walls stretch low platform built of stone and framed with Doric colonnades. Similar structure of the building with the north suggests that these premises have also been used as a repository for votive gifts.
At the entrance of one of these buildings is the inscription, which read that the premises were built by Emperor Trojans in 101 AD. The so-called South building was restored partially, here Doric colonnade was rebuilt from the slender smooth-columns surmounted by small capitals.
God Apollo was very honored Cypriots, which is why over the centuries it has accumulated in the sanctuary of a huge number of offerings. According to custom, existed throughout the ancient world, the priests from time to time "cleaned" their treasures in order to make room for new gifts. Because the offerings to the deity considered sacred, was not allowed to just throw them, so they were buried in designated pits - Botros, which is found in the sanctuary. Here, in the Sanctuary of Apollo, also has such a pit, it is near the east gate. During the excavations it was found vases and terracotta huge amount of V century BC and the pre-Roman period.
Near Botros, opposite the southern building originates narrow street paved with stone slabs, it leads to the very temple of Apollo. Left it fenced low wall, and the right of it is the "House of the priests," where his small rooms adjacent to the square courtyard, facing the street. On the other side of the courtyard are the treasures of the temple premises. Walls listed buildings remained at a considerable height.
Moving along the street to the north, to the temple, visitors pass by the fence of the ancient archaic sanctuary. With his excavations found a large number of votive terracotta vases and VIII-V centuries BC The street leads to the foot of the temple, whose diminutive size did not combine with an impressive complex of the entire sanctuary. This can be seen ancient Cypriot tradition according to which the center of the sanctuary is not a temple, and the altar, located in the open air around him committed all religious ceremonies. This altar existed in the temple of Apollo, but traces of it has survived. What is known is that the altar is highly revered Cypriots. Greek writer of the first century AD says that blasphemer who dared to insult the altar even a simple touch to it, waiting for a terrible penalty: it dumped into the sea from high cliffs surrounding the beach sanctuary.
The Temple of Apollo was a sample of Roman temples of the period. He stood on the podium, which led to the wide staircase. Small Celle preceded by four-column portico. Today from buildings have only foundations.
Sanctuary complex completed two sites located outside the fence.
At the eastern gate (by Curio) sanctuary monumental staircase, which abuts a strange towering twin pillars denoting angle rectangular courtyard palaestras - building for classes in gymnastic exercises. Gymnastic games in honor of the deity were typical and widely used for ancient religious custom. Palaestras existed at all major shrines of ancient Greece. Palestra sanctuary of Apollo built on a typical plan for such structures: its center is a vast open area of rectangular shape, it is surrounded on all sides by a Doric colonnade. To this day the majority of the columns are preserved only the lower part of their structure, they are similar to the columns of the sanctuary. A distinctive feature of this building are double corner columns, drums are carved from a single stone, scape from the inside are clearly separated, and the outer - merge, forming the round corner. On both sides of Palaestra surrounded premises seating and dressing athletes. They are quite poorly preserved: visible places built of small stones walls of well-polished stone slabs made lintels of doors and windows, penetrating the wall.
The western wall of undeveloped niche where once stood a statue of an athlete, playing ball, apparently, this game was popular here. This statue was found during excavations and now kept in the museum, and in its place stands a plaster cast.
In the north-west corner at the foot of the columns palaestras stands the majestic stone water jar Valium forms preserved half. Most likely, it was used for washing the athletes after gymnastic exercises. However, the more carefully they could clean up in the baths, which is opposite the building on the other side palaestras Kurionskoy road.
From the building of baths, consisting of a series of small rooms, as well as from other buildings of the sanctuary, preserved only foundations. These facilities differ amazing layout. Going into the waiting room through the lobby, visitors therm (baths) enters the room for undressing, then followed frigidarium with pool for cold water, decorated with mosaics, only after going through it, you could get into a warm room - tepidarium, occupying two rooms, and Finally, the caldarium - hot bath. Directly adjoin room with a stove where hot air is circulated through the building under floors and through a pipeline laid in the walls.
Its final form, judging by surviving inscriptions complex sanctuary of Apollo adopted during the reign of Emperor Trajan (first century of our time). The sanctuary was destroyed by an earthquake in 364-365 years. BC It then settled ancient herdsmen and some buildings have been partially restored.
Address: Kourion, Limassol
Hours of operationDaily: 08: 00 - 17: 00 (November - March), 08: 00 - 18: 00 (April - mo0y), (September - October), 08: 00 - 19: 30 (June - August).
Work period: all year round
Entrance fee: 1,71 euros
The ruins of this ancient city in Cyprus are located in the area of Limassol, on the coast. Amathus - one of the largest and most populous cities of ancient Cyprus where abundant ore deposits and developed agriculture.
Legend has it that the founder of the city was one of the sons of Hercules. According to another legend, buried here lovely Ariadne, daughter of Minos and wife of Theseus. However, historians believe that Amathus Paphos founded ruler King Kinyras 3000 in BC, the city he named after his mother Amathus.
Archaeological excavations in the area began in 1980 year. The oldest finds are dated 1100 BC. Today you can see the Acropolis fragments (fortress), a few houses, a market area with marble columns, which adorns the spiral pattern, the remains of the city walls, a Byzantine basilica inlaid with precious stones, and the ruins of the port floors, built in 800 BC for Levantine and Greek merchant ships.
Is an established fact, that was the site of Amathus worship of Aphrodite - the goddess of the temple ruins are located on the top of the mountain, dating 1 century BC It also held sports games in honor of Adonis, called Adonia Salambon, games were held twice a year. They were accompanied by a solemn female chants, reminiscent of Venus crying, grieving over the death of her beloved Adonis. Next singing tone changed, as women have expressed their joy and gratitude as Adonis, as the myth back to life. Games were a competition of dance, music and game species.
Relics found here are kept in the Archaeological Museum in Limassol, Cyprus Museum in Nicosia and in the New York Metropolitan Museum. The most valuable find stored in the Louvre, in Paris. This huge stone vase, dating from the VI century BC, it was used for storage of grape must. At the height of it is 1,85 m and a maximum width - 2,2 m, its weight almost 1,5 tons. Vase carved from a block has 4 handles, which are decorated with the heads of bulls.
Location: On the south coast of the island, 11 km east of Limassol and 36 km west of Larnaca.
Hours of operationDaily from June to August with 07: 30 to 19: 30, from September to May with 07: 30 to 17: 00.
Admission is free
This three-nave church is notable for its unique wooden roof, which stood for several centuries. The church walls are decorated with paintings of the Italo-Byzantine style, they are dated 16 first half century.
Church of Panagia Yamatiki located on the outskirts of the village Arakapos. It contains the icon of the Virgin Mary, it is believed that it has the inexplicable power to heal.
Near Limassol, in the Panel Polemidia, it is the church of St. Anastasia. The church consists of two churches. More ancient, cross-domed most likely was built in 12 century, this eastern part of the complex. The western part is the church, which was added in 16 century, it is made in the same architectural style. Extant wall paintings dated 14-15 centuries.
Church of Agia Christina, or St. Christina, located in the village Germasogeya in Limassol. This little church, built in 12 century, has a flat roof. It was restored several times, and during the recent restoration work under a thick layer of plaster were found murals 14-15 centuries, which have also been restored. When the church opened the church museum where exhibited different church utensils.
Monastery of Agios Georgios Alamanos is close to the highway Nicosia - Limassol. It was built in 12 century, and it was originally a monastery, but today there is a convent. Nuns, besides religious rituals, iconography involved, breeding flowers and herbs, as well as beekeeping and honey production.
Monastery and its new church built in the Byzantine style, can not be called a work of art, with all this will be interesting to see the life of the nuns. Near the church is a lovely cafe where often pass plays and concerts. Here you are always welcome welcoming hosts and good food.
Jami Kebir mosque is located opposite Limasssolskoy fortress and today is serving. Once this mosque filled the huge number of Muslim Turks, but today is a place visited by a small number of believers. Sometimes you can see tourists Arabs.
If this church is closed during the day, you only need to ask the old Turkish woman to open it, and the need to donate a small symbolic sum for the improvement of the temple. At the entrance definitely need to take off your shoes and women must cover their heads to enter.
At the beginning of the IV century south-east of the salt lake by Emperor Constantine on the Akrotiri Peninsula was founded men's monastery in honor of St. Nicholas. Later, she will be called Gaton (Cat ") for a huge number of people living on its territory and around cats. According to legend, cats were brought here the same Elena. Coming back from the Holy Land in 327 year, she stopped in the bay and the peninsula was overwhelmed by the sheer number of venomous snakes lived here.
Medieval historian Stephen Lusignan in his book (1580 year) argued that one of the main results of the Cyprus odyssey Queen Helena - the mother of the Byzantine Emperor Constantine - was the accession of Cyprus to Antioch, the province of the Eastern Roman Empire, the Byzantine and the appointment of the first ruler of the island of Patrick Kalokerosa. After a year Kalokeros, obeying the orders of Emperor Constantine, built in the village of Akrotiri Monastery of St. Nicholas. For their dedication and zeal Kalokeresa Saint Helena instructed him to take care of the cats, which she specially brought from Egypt and Asia Minor.
Cat of the Gentiles - a magical animal. It is known that the Egyptians it is a symbol of the moon and the night sacraments accompanying moon goddess Diana, who helped, according to the ancient Romans, women in childbirth. Cat was a great hunter, able to save the island from the terrible scourge - a catastrophic breeding venomous snakes that had made some areas of the island uninhabitable.
Even today, the snakes can suddenly remind myself, sticking his head out of the grass hissing or crawling across the road in front of your car, wading through the narrow winding highway in the mountainous part of Cyprus. And during the reign Kalokeresa monks who Byzantine governor entrust to care for the cats, preventing future opening physiologist I. Pavlov began to develop a conditioned reflex in cats. By order of the governor, they gave the cats to eat only poisonous snakes in the time specified, summoning wards at meal using bells. Cats came running from all around, once again proving that "hunger - not my aunt," and holy bell ringing is heard not only to God.
Cats-zmeelovy even in the Middle Ages were a rarity, and in Cyprus monastery from around the world gathered travelers who look at cats, solemnly to run to dinner at the monastery bells ringing. In gratitude to the governor allowed the monks of St. Nicholas day to catch fish in the lake, which was strictly forbidden by other residents. This order was maintained until 1200 years. Next to the monastery and cats were destined to go through a lot of adversity. It is noteworthy that the known victims of the Turkish occupation of martyrology 1570 year includes not only the names of the dead men, but cats and St. Nicholas.
During the reign of the English monastery was closed and again revived, but as a female in 1983 year when the ruined monastery came two nuns - and Elbida Kasiaini. They not only rebuilt the monastery from scratch, using the stones of the ancient monastery, but to plant and grow new and beautiful gardens, thus making a small monastery in the place of pilgrimage for many Christians. It a small amount of nuns, who in addition to traditional obedience, caring for cats, brought here from all over the island. Cats still feel the real masters of the monastery and its surroundings, with honor carrying his difficult "service" and saving people from snakes rejected by God.
The monastery is preserved stone temple XV century, its main entrance is decorated with a mosaic manner Nicholas.
Today, the oldest theater of Limassol - Patihione, put musicals, drama and ballet performances. Foundation Nikos and Despina Pattihipriobrel theater, rebuilt and re-opened it in 1986 year. Limassol Municipality theater sponsorship assistance. It is able to accommodate up to 760 spectators, and for his backstage dressing room arranged for 80 actors. In recent years, the theater advocate Vienna Philharmonic Theatre, Athens Chamber music ensemble, the Moscow "Vivaldi okestr" Paris Jazz and ballet art.
Address: Agias Zonis.
Phone. 25 34 33 41