Paphos only one of the cities of Cyprus, has retained its name since ancient times. His numerous monuments listed in the World Heritage List, and the city is incorporated into the UNESCO list.
Foreign tourists, including Russian, in Paphos will find a lot of interesting and famous for its attractions.
Museum exhibits are rare things collected and brought from different parts of Cyprus. Here you can find unique pottery, fragments of ancient buildings, figurines, ornaments and more. In the halls of the museum shows the history of Cyprus with other unusual side.
Most of the currently existing museums of Cyprus were opened only at the end of the XX century. Paphos Archaeological Museum became accessible to the public only in 1964 year, there will be very interesting to those who honor the ancient relics.
Museum collection contains a huge number of archaeological sites have been found in Paphos and the surrounding area. They are all historical periods in the area. The museum consists of five halls for display and one adjoined little room in the yard where exhibited monuments of marble and limestone, as well as various inscriptions engraved on the stone. Inspection findings in the halls placed in chronological order. Very interesting is the bust of Aphrodite, found off the coast, and a unique set of clay-thermos bottles, which apparently served as an excellent means to relieve the symptoms of rheumatism. So, take a walk through the halls of the museum.
In the first hall to our eyes appear finds from the Chalcolithic period (3800-2500 years. BC) of the Lemba and Kissonerga, namely a set of stone tools, fine ceramic vessels, figurines and jewelry. Here there are pottery all development phases of the Bronze Age. A special section exhibited bronze and iron artifacts with traces of deformation on the time from various locations and chronological periods. In the same room is a small collection of ornaments and jewelry found in the Paphos area.
Objects of the second hall presented Archaic artifacts (750-475 years. BC) and Classical (475-325 years. BC) periods found in Paleo Paphos, Nea Paphos and other archaeological sites in the Paphos area. Marble and stone statues, sculptures, ceramic vases are illustrative of some of the main periods of the evolution of the Cypriot ancient art. Here you can see the collection of coins from Paphos, the ancient kingdom of Marion. This coin came to us from the Hellenistic and Roman eras.
Ceramic vases, statues, amphorae collection of Roman glass vessels, interesting stone sarcophagi of the Hellenistic period and marble sculptures of the Roman Empire period are presented in the third room.
The fourth room exhibits found during excavations in Kato Paphos, namely finding the house of Dionysus, ceramics, painting fragments of ancient houses and tombs. These artifacts date back to the Roman and Byzantine periods (395-1191 years.).
We approach the fifth hall. Here is a collection of medieval antiquities, it was collected from findings in Kato Paphos, Sarantium Kolones and Chrysopolitissa. In particular, the objects of pottery, glass vessels, sculptures and paintings belonging to the Frankish (1192-1489 years.) And Venetian (1489-1571 years.) Periods.
Only surviving tower Pafos fort dominates the picturesque harbor of Paphos resort area. This monumental fortification was built in the early second millennium Byzantine masters. During the Turkish domination fortress used as a prison since lost its meaning fortification structure. The British, who replaced the Turks used it in the same capacity. To date, this fort is complementary attractions of Paphos.
Etienne de Lusignan, a descendant of the royal Lusignan, however, a Dominican friar and Auxiliary Bishop of Limassol 1562, a historian who wrote a three-volume book about the history of Cyprus, wrote that on the coast of Cyprus "were two of the strongest castle walls are always washed by the sea waves ", Pafos castle was one of them. It is located in Pafos harbor, which was used during the time of Alexander the Great. However, there is no information confirming exactly when this place was built the castle, on the assumptions that resembled likely watchtower.
Only in Lusignan 1222 year to protect the harbor were built two watchtowers.
In Paphos 1373 year was subject to a siege of the Genoese, defenders of the fort for a year to reflect their attack, but after the fall of the fortress of Famagusta also fell. Only through 18 years affected the siege tower will be restored king of Cyprus Jakob I.
In 1473 the fort was strengthened, but almost a hundred years later during the capture of the island by the Turks destroyed again. Turkish governor of the island of Cyprus - Ahmed Bey - restore it in 1592 year. The first floor of the fort represented as a lounge with a stone vault, rooms, located on both sides of the hall, to the Turkish dominion used as prison cells. Placed on the floor above subservient artillery, surveillance and attacks were carried out with the upper platform of the fortress, which can climb stairs was. Under garrison mosque was given the central top floor room.
During the British occupation of the island fort served as a warehouse for salt.
Only 1935 the castle was declared one of the main assets of Paphos.
In the last decade, the castle is a place where every September festival. This medieval fort was used as the Skene's Ancient Greek Theatre (where actors change clothes before submission). Theatrical stage and seats for spectators on the shore construct. Real antique fort and sunset reflected in the shimmering waves of the sea are a great backdrop for theatrical performances.
One of the first and early Christian cave churches on the island of Cyprus are in the catacombs of St. Solon. Olive tree growing right out of the rock - the main attraction of this place. Tourists and locals tied to tree branches white handkerchiefs zagadyvaya with desires that are said to come true. By visiting this mysterious place, you get a chance to check out the truth for yourself to believe.
Catacombs of St. Solomoni revered since ancient times. According to legend, in the year of 168 Nativity Holy Solomon seven sons fled from Palestine. Persecution she was hiding here in the dungeons that resemble caves. Refugees settled in the abandoned quarry, but soon found them and seized. Holy Solomonija died after prolonged torture and martyrdom sons. Since then, the holy martyrs venerated by the Church of Cyprus in their honor 18 August (new style) committed service. Their life coincides with the life story of the seven Holy Martyrs Maccabees affected 166 years before Christ, the memory of them is celebrated 14 August.
Catacombs of St. Solomonia contain several underground rooms, which are arranged around an open rectangular courtyard. These architectural structures more closely resemble the ancient tombs of the Hellenistic era. In the catacombs of the open-topped rectangular site pilgrims descend on the narrow stone steps. From here you can go through the rocks carved into thicker rectangular apertures arranged in a cross shape: this temple and accommodations. Underground temple-chapel is a small room where there is no altar and iconostasis, it stretches from west to east. Here, in front of the Holy of Solomon, pilgrims light candles and turn to it with a prayer for healing.
These catacombs at the dawn of Christianity saved many "first" Christians from persecution pagans. It was in those times the same room with arched entrance was converted into a church, and later its walls were decorated with frescoes, fragments of which have survived to date. Remains of frescoes on the north and south sides have their origin in the XIV century. At the present altar one can hardly see the Virgin and Child, the images of the Church Fathers and fragments of images of the cross and two deacons.
Before the temple in the northern part of the rock hewn cave entrance at great depth which is a miraculous source, it can be down on the stairs carved into the rock. The water in the underground grotto, the level of which is constantly changing at different times, going among the rocks right under your feet. Previously, the water was always clean, clear and curative used from various ailments. Today, due to the fact that the source of the throngs of tourists descend, water spoiled and not fit for drinking.
Above the entrance to the cave lies a shady tree, hung with scraps of fabric. People asking for the Virgin for healing, knotted it more and more new nodules. Despite the fact that this custom originated in ancient pre-Christian times, its compliance today.
On the vast territory, which has its origin in the old harbor, spread this unique in its beauty park. Here you can see the mosaic floor in the House of Dionysus, the medieval castle Saranta Kolones, Odeon and other attractions. On a tour of the park you can spend the whole day, so visiting parks Cyprus, do not forget to grab a water and charged the camera.
To the west of the modern town of Paphos is the ancient necropolis, which in former times served as the burial place of the local nobility. He represents a large number of crypts located underground, a small part of which is preserved to this day.
At the beginning of XX century in Paphos, archaeologists discovered an underground funerary complex, which consisted of a few dozen graves. "Tombs", which is also called "Tombs of the Kings", were cut in the thickness of the coastal cliffs.
Burial chambers arranged around an open and in-depth into the ground patio framed by Doric columns. You can get there by going down the steep rocky stairs. Gloomy tombs in contrast with impressive thick walls and brightly lit atrium impression of chilling horror and irrepressible enthusiasm. Monumentality "Tombs of Kings" confirms the greatness, prosperity and sophistication Hellenistic Paphos.
This type is not typical for the graves of Cyprus, it is more close Ptolemaic culture that confirm the then "close" connection between Cyprus and Alexandria.
Kings Paphos including buried not, because these structures are dated III century BC, and in those days, the last king of Cyprus has already left this world. Are likely to have the highest dignitaries buried ruling dynasty, indirectly confirms this conjecture is located above the entrance to one of the tombs menacing eagle - a symbol of power of the Ptolemies.
Over time, most tombs derelict and were looted. And one of the funerary halls and to this day is called the "Old Church", because it is in these deserted caves in times of persecution found their refuge early Christians.
These unique mosaics dating from V-III centuries. BC, can be considered in Kato Paphos Archaeological Park. You will be amazed precision of the mosaics and their beauty will cause a storm of emotions. These mosaics are listed UNESCO World Heritage Site. Numbered in 79 1980 in the UNESCO list was included Paphos, according 3 6 and cultural criteria. The mosaics of Nea Paphos are extremely rare, the best in the world includes mosaics from the Hellenistic to the Byzantine period.
House of Dionysus is recognized as one of the most significant monuments of world culture. Urban villa complex, dating from the III. BC, occupied a vast area of 2 hectares, a quarter of which was covered with mosaic floors: on them in bright colors depicted ancient mythological subjects. Rooms are named after the house preserved mosaic scenes: for example, Narcissa room - here depicted the myth of a beautiful youth Narcissus, in love with himself (in Greek mythology, he was known as hyacinth, Antaeus or Dionysus), and fell in love with his nymph Echo. Hall of Seasons - center fabric is a mosaic image of a woman personifying nature, surrounded by personalized seasons where crowned of golden leaves bardovyh she portrays autumn; decorated with flowers - spring; ripe ears - summer, and gray, with a silvery beard - winter. The space between the images of the time filled images of birds, animals, fruit basket and plants. Mosaic, divided by the square 9 sectors root ornament frames. Thanks to the play of light and shadow, as well as changing the slope and shape, the skillful selection of natural color stones artist had created the illusion of three-dimensional space, the visual sense of time and movement. The inscription at the entrance to the room says, "And you," and the output "Hello!".
Composition, dedicated to the theme of traditional grape harvest takes the largest hall. In the center of the image god Dionysus - the patron of viticulture and winemaking. Mosaic received its name "Triumph of Dionysus" in honor of the successful completion of the campaign in India.
In most subjects mosaics - ancient myths, "Pyramus and Thisbe", "Penney, Apollo and Daphne", "Hippolytus and Phaedra." One of the best mosaics House of Dionysus, is distinguished by its imagery, artistic power and color decision, considered "Ganymede and the Eagle." Here illustrated story of how the king's son Troy Ganymede, the most beautiful young man among mortals, kidnaps Zeus took the shape of an eagle. He took him to the top of Mount Olympus, where the gods made cupbearer Ganymede. It is believed that this is what appeared on the horizon of the constellation of Aquarius. A relatively small area artist managed to create expressive and comprehensive image of an eagle with spread wings, free-floating with his burden. Sense of reality creates a lack of contact between the flight lands, the eagle's wings and feet of Ganymede.
Series of paintings mosaics illustrating scenes of hunting and gathering grapes adorn the portico of three central courtyard houses of Dionysus. Series of vivid images hunters replace animal figures: mad bull, leopard, carrying in its mouth a horse's head, fleeing mouflon, wild horse with a broken head. All stories are full of hunting reality of what is happening, drama and agony. However, the vintage scene, filled with lyrical detail with a predominance of delicate bright colors, carry a boundless love for a peaceful nature. Much later motives birds pecking luscious berry vines become an integral part of the iconography, they enrich themselves and painting frescoes adorn thread iconostasis.
Ingenuity of ancient painters manifested in the creation of complex geometric patterns. Squares and triangles, stars, crosses, circles and diamonds - it is only a small part of the various combinations of these figures are still affecting the originality of creative fantasy and imagination. They contain a symbolic interpretation mirozdannyh ideas, heavenly unity and cyclic movement.
Interior house painting Theseus are a mosaic of the highest class. The house is named in honor preserved to our times mosaic of Theseus, Ariadne and the Minotaur. In the center of the circular maze - Theseus at his feet - the Minotaur, over which hung a sharp sword, right - the island of Crete, on the left - Ariadne at the bottom - the labyrinth as Crete, he personified. Actors names are written in uppercase Greek letters. To date, this mosaic in the manner of the scriptures and a variety of colors is considered the best of those that are found on the island of Cyprus.
Story telling of the birth of Achilles, no less expressive. On the mosaic image of the goddess Thetis picture and mortal Peleus king seated on the throne. Holding a baby in her arms Achilles nurse prepares to dip it in a bowl of immortality. Behind the throne three goddesses of human destiny: Clotho, spinning vital thread Lohesis to help overcome all the vicissitudes of life, and Atropos, breaking off the thread of earthly existence. They are present here in order to determine the future of Achilles. Mosaic contains iconographic details not known to the ancient art to the point, but then firmly included in the biblical story of the Nativity.
House of Theseus consists of one hundred rooms arranged around a large courtyard. Most likely, this huge structure was not private property and public buildings, and, perhaps, the residence of the Roman governor of Cyprus.
Orpheus House is famous because of the unique mosaic panels with reproduction of Orpheus surrounded by wild beasts, Hercules and Lion Nymphea and militant Amazon with a horse.
Jonah mosaic house, dating back to the middle of the VI century, are also considered spectacular and ikonografichnymi. Spacious room, crowned with an apse, decorated with six mythological subjects, including "Apollo and Mars," "Leda and the Swan" and "Christmas Dionysus." From the perspective of all the subjects of art are made true artists, masters of mosaic art.
Only amphitheater, well preserved to our days, is located on the territory of Kato Paphos Archaeological Park. This historical monument dates back to the second century BC.
Ancient Odeon is located near the House of Dionysus. The amphitheater was built in the Hellenistic era, modern look, come down to us, the theater acquired during the period of Roman rule in the III century. The lower part consists of boulders, and the building itself is excavated in the rock. Fleeing up the ranks of a semicircular frame orhestru. The scene closes meters diameter 11 ancient structure. On top of the hill where today stands the lighthouse, you can climb the stairs leading up, located on the side of the amphitheater. In those days the big red square in front of the theater perimeter decorated with marble columns, fragments of which have been preserved to the present day.
In the IV century Odeon theater as well as other ancient buildings of Paphos, suffered during the earthquake. Today, however, it is partially restored and renovated. In the summer here put the Greek tragedies, theater performances, operas and give hold festivals.
To the east of the Roman amphitheater, on the area of Nea Paphos excavations. And to the south are the ruins of ancient Aesculapius (hospitals) - Asklepion. In ancient times, this wellness center consisted of a variety of spacious rooms, some details of which suggest that the building had a second floor and basement, used, most likely as a warehouse. Entrance and courtyard of the hospital complex were decorated with majestic granite columns.
Asklepion renowned for being here once treated the inhabitants of the ancient Paphos and worshiped the ancient Greek god of medicine and healing Asclepius, originally born mortal, but due to the high degree of medicine to obtain immortality.
Legend has it that the father of Asclepius was the god Apollo, and his mother - the nymph Coronis, which Apollo killed for treason. Pregnant Coronis fell in love with a mortal Iskhiya what crow informed Apollo, and one angry, sent his sister Artemis to kill Coronis. When the fire burned body of a woman, white crow wings forever blackened by soot, and Apollo snatched from the fire from the womb of Asclepius, put the baby on education wise centaur Chiron. Asclepius expressed a desire to learn the art of healing and asked about his mentor, but he soon surpassed in this art not only Chiron, but all mortals.
Has accumulated vast experience in the art of healing, Asclepius received from Athena the blood flowed from the veins of the Gorgon Medusa. Her blood, flowed from the left side, carried the death, but the right of Asclepius used in rescuing people. Asclepius decided to resurrect the dead. Then, Hades the god of death, deprived of production, complained of violates World Order of Asclepius. Zeus agreed with Hades, because if people become immortal, nothing will distinguish them from the gods, and his healer struck by lightning. But thanks to the great healer Moira (Fates) was returned from the dead and became the great god of healing.
Here in Paphos, in the district Archaeological Museum you can see a marble statue of Asclepius, which dates from II century BC.
Ruins of a medieval castle, along with other attractions of Paphos, located in the park of Kato Paphos. To date, the once great structure, leaving only the foundation and several arches, but on these fragments can clearly imagine the scale of the object.
In the VII century, when Arabs raids on Cyprus increased, in order to protect Paphos was built powerful Byzantine fortress, which was called Saranta Kolones, translated "Forty Columns". The structure is situated on an elevated plot line the shore, a few hundred meters east of the House of Dionysus and was once connected to the port by a narrow road.
Byzantines from the castle came into the possession of the Crusaders (the fortress was taken by Richard the Lionheart in 1191), and, after some time, in 1222 city, the castle was destroyed by an earthquake. 40 preserved remains of granite columns gave the name of the fortress.
For many years it was believed that the temple of Aphrodite was at this place, but this version was not confirmed.
Powerful stone wall fortified castle from all sides, and for the massive watchtowers, crowning all four sides of the fortress, there was a deep ditch. Outside the castle was located two-storey building, numerous warehouses and offices, a chapel, a mill, stables, swimming pools, marble bath, water storage tanks, heating and sewerage systems, fortifications, prison cells, and more.
Still remains a mystery why the Franks built a new fort on the antique mall in the western part of the harbor, known today as Pafos castle and fortress, destroyed by the earthquake, did not recover.
The Basilica, built in the V century in znamenovanie the Blessed Virgin Mary, the patron of the pier, was virtually destroyed during the Arab raids in the VII century.
Close to the old harbor of Paphos, near the ruins of the fortress of Santa Kolones, archaeologists have found the remains of a temple-basilica in honor of Our Lady of Limeniotissy - Patroness of the harbor.
The temple was built at the beginning of the V century and destroyed during the raid of the Arabs in 653 year, almost completely destroyed the basilica was used as stables in 680 year. After the departure of the Arabs, she, like many other churches, has been restored. As a result of the earthquake in 1222 year from the temple were the remains of a mosaic floor with geometric designs, fragments of which have survived to this day.
The church of Panagia is located to the east of the avenue Chrysopolitissa Leoforos Apostolou Pavlou. It is built on the site of the ancient basilica, fragments of which can be seen today. This place is remarkable by the fact that, according to legend, one of the columns whose remains are buried next to the church, was tied and beaten with whips Apostle Paul before he arrived in Cyprus drew the Roman consul in the Christian faith. In place of the conversion to Christianity the temple was built - the Basilica of the Holy Chrysopolitissa (Kyriaki), he, most likely, was the cathedral of the Bishop of Paphos.
Later the temple was destroyed. Archaeologists have found the remains of columns, mosaic floors of small colored stones, and parts of the walls. Particularly interesting monogram of Christ's name in Greek letters form, intersecting at the center of the circle. It was found in the Temple and the altar represents Jesus Christ, the Alpha and Omega, as well as the beginning and end of all existing and anchor of salvation. Preserved fragments of mosaics with Christian symbols, ornaments and texts from the Old Testament, as well as part of a marble slab II century after Christ with the inscription in Greek, "Paul."
Temple Basilica, consisting of seven aisles and erected after 394 years, has become a place that attracts pilgrims from all over the world. At the beginning of the V century, it was rebuilt in the five-naval.
Near the temple were found ruins of an ancient synagogue, which, according to legend, a young man visited the Apostle Barnabas. In the church 1571 Chrysopolitissa was transferred to the Turkish authorities. In the northern limit of the Orthodox iconostasis icons. Currently Liturgy in the church on holidays and Sundays alternately make the British and Roman Catholics.
These archaeological remains, however, as the whole of Paphos, are under the protection of UNESCO.
To the south-east of the Temple Chrysopolitissa, in the center of Paphos is a small church of Panagia Teoskepasti. The structure of the church on the one hand looks like a fortress on a rock, and on the other - as a modern temple of the blue. Name of the church means "hidden god." According to legend, the cloud, sent by God taker has hidden church during a raid of the Arabs in the VII century. The modern church was built in 1923, the building, which is styled with early cross-domed churches. The iconostasis of the stone church dates 1192 year. Services are held in the temple every day, but still quite often. Reliable services are available at the entrance to the temple, right under the glass.
The village name is derived from the phrase Yeroskipou "Ieros KIPROS" which in Greek means "sacred garden". The village is really like a blooming garden. One of its attractions is the Museum of Folk Art, where an impressive collection of works of applied art and folk crafts. Experience reinforces the old house in which the museum is located. This house is known as the "House Hadzhismita."
Hadzhismita house - a traditional building of the XIX century, are of great historical and architectural significance. It is built of stone, has an outdoor terrace and two large courtyards. From the village center to the house can be reached on foot in just a few minutes. Built between two yards, in those days he belonged to the Deputy Consul Britain. Hadzhismita House - one of the first architectural structures, which was awarded the title of the ancient monument. The Cyprus Department of Antiquities acquired the first half of the house at the end of 1947 year and the other was bought in 1974 year.
Building after systematic restorations was turned into a museum of folk art, which 1978 was opened to the public visit. By including items damaged buildings in the last pieces of the big house, the grounds of the museum was expanded.
Objects of folk art, the museum components were found not only in the areas of Paphos, but also in other regions of the island of Cyprus. Most of the items collected in the composition, which clearly reflect the peasant life of those times. In order to visit all the rooms of the museum, you will need at least one hour.
The cost of visiting the museum is 2 per person. Make bags in the room smoking, they should be left to the entrance.
In the summer the museum works with 9-00 to 17-00, and winter - to 8-00 16-00.
In the X century in the village of Yeroskipou, which is in 3 km from Paphos, was erected mnogokupolnaya Church of Agia Paraskevi. This shrine is famous not only for the architectural uniqueness, but also for its frescoes, the oldest of them belong to the VIII century. They applied for several centuries one another, today under the frescoes XII and XV centuries restorers discover earlier work. Visiting Cyprus, you should definitely look at the ancient church of the Great Martyr Paraskeva.
According to legend, Paraskeva wanted to dedicate his life to God and the revelation of the Gentiles. It is known that she healed the emperor Antoninus Pius blindness. For what she professed the Orthodox faith, the Gentiles Paraskeva seized and brought to the ruler Tarasov, who invited her to sacrifice to the pagan idol. For its refusal Holy undergone great torment, and then was thrown into prison. But God healed her broken body. However, this is a sign they did not repent of the executioners, and they continued to torture Paraskeva, and then completely cut off her head. This happened in the year 161. Martyr remains were transported to Constantinople.
Agia Paraskevi attributed many miracles, especially those associated with the healing of eye ailments. The Orthodox Church, honoring the memory of the Holy, 26 July (8 August, new style) holds at Holy Liturgy. At this time, around the church and its adjacent streets are the fair, where thousands of people gather, including residents of neighboring villages and tourists interested in the traditions of Cyprus. Miraculous Icon of St. Martyr Paraskeva the right of the king's gate, the south wall in Kyoto.
Five-domed Byzantine church of Agia Paraskevi is one of the oldest on the island. The temple was built in the IX century and refers to the type of cross-domed churches, where the dome is held four pillars installed in the central part of the temple. The oldest part of the temple is a five-domed basilica, three bathing which are arranged in a row above the nave, while the other two - on each side, together they form a cross.
Belfry was built in the XVIII century, and the western part in the XIX century. However, all of the buildings form a whole, as if it was built at the same time.
Image of Our Lady holding Christ on her lap, is in the center of the main dome. On the temple walls, images of, among which the apostle Peter, St. George, the prophet Moses and many others. Scenes depicting the birth and baptism of Christ, the Last Supper, Christ's crucifixion and other striking craftsmanship.
Landmark church of Agia Paraskevi is one of the most valuable icons, where on the one hand shows the Virgin holding Jesus Christ on his left, and on the other side - the crucifixion. Icon was attained in the XIX century. According to legend, a farmer, whose home was on the hill, he saw a strange glow in the area of ancient Yeroskipou. Waiting for the dark night, the villagers went to the place where he was spotted a strange light, and scrublands found the icon next to it was the lamp that someone is constantly lit. According to one version, the icon sheltered from the Turks.
Revered image of the Blessed Virgin Yeroskipou graciously iconostasis is left of the king's gate. Royal doors are on one large board - icon, which pushed aside. Here in the form of a bishop to his full height depicted Savior.
In ancient times, the church was located near the entrance to the cave, there was hitting out of the ground spring whose water is considered curative.
Paliapafos (Old Paphos) in one of the times was an independent city-kingdoms of Cyprus and for centuries was one of the most popular pilgrimage centers of ancient Greece. It was built the famous temple - the sanctuary of Aphrodite, the most ancient remains of which date back to the XII century BC. Sanctuary remained the most significant place of veneration until Aphrodite III-IV century. And to this day excavations in the area of the temple, the old town and the necropolis.
The spacious house Lusignan period opened Museum, which exhibits constitute interesting archeological artifacts dating the time being.
Sanctuary of Aphrodite, as the old Paphos, was destroyed in the earthquake, and now we can only guess about the original form and luxury of this iconic structure.
North Hall of the Roman sanctuary kept separate pieces of the puzzle, the floor is adorned in ancient times. Rome authorities immediately began restoration work, which resulted in the temple acquired the original appearance, and next to him was erected a new temple to the traditions of the Roman architecture of the time. New temple complex occupies a large area, its buildings were linked by special transitions. Religious worship, ceremonies and sacrifices were made here on a grand scale and pomp.
Due care of the Roman emperors of the time the Temple of Aphrodite gained a second life, become famous so that its image on Roman coins were minted. Such a special relation to this iconic place due primarily to the fact that the Roman emperors perceived as the main temple of Aphrodite ancestral sanctuary because they were descended from the legendary Yul, whose father was the Trojan Aeneas - son of the goddess Aphrodite.
Today, about the appearance of the temple can be seen from the schematic images that are saved in a Roman coin from the reign of Emperor Vespasian (9-79 years. BC). Scientists suggest that the temple in the Old Paphos was more like a sacred edifice built in the tradition of Minoan Crete and the Eastern Mediterranean, rather than the Greek type. Small building of the sanctuary, located in the open space behind the high parabolic wall, hidden behind the altars and numerous other monuments of religious ritual sense. Sanctuary consisted of three parts. In the center, on a hill, in a space dominated majestically conical stone - a symbol of the Goddess. Goddess itself is not depicted in the fear not to be known as' man of artistic imagination and thereby cause her anger. Today, this mighty stone kept in the museum of the ancient castle of Lusignan.
It is believed that the village of Kouklia, which stands on the site of the old central part of Paphos, where in the construction of their houses and streets residents used stones destroyed the ancient sanctuary, thereby "communion" to the cult of Aphrodite.
Pagan sacred objects were stored for centuries, going into the life of Christians living in those lands. For example, in a sugar factory, which was built on the ruins of the castle of Lusignan in the XV-XVI centuries., Sugar boiled in a bronze cauldrons, which once belonged to the Roman temple.
In the IV century Byzantine emperor Theodosius I the Great (379-395 years.) Recognized Christianity as a religion and banned pagan rites in honor of the Goddess. Today, the site of the temple of Aphrodite known only ruins.
Global significance of the temple as a religious and mystical center of the Mediterranean with the advent of Christianity began to fade. And over time, the famous cult ceased to exist altogether. In the sanctuary did not come with sacrifices and did not commit festive libations. Gradually being destroyed, forgotten sanctuary stood still for almost a millennium.
Near the village of Kouklia, near Paphos, about halfway to the village of Archimandrite, the left is a steep descent to the sanctuary of St Constantine and Helena. In a rocky ravine in front of a painted cave sheltered small chapel - Palea Enklestra. Cave as it is hidden from prying eyes, lurking in the lush greenery. Left, at the entrance to the temple, arched niche where most likely was reposed founder of this secluded monastery. Affects the number of murals, soft paint that amazingly fresh and clean, which means that the candles were lit here very rarely. Apparently, the life of the cave-chapel ended with the death of its founder, and is no longer used. In the church, to the left of the entrance, is a long-haired nude saint Onufriya with a gray beard to his waist. Semicircular ceiling adorns the center plot of the Holy Trinity in the triple aura: God the Father, Jesus Christ, and between them - the book on which a dove descends the Holy Spirit. Circling around numerous angels, archangels, cherubim and seraphim. Here and evangelists who write their messages: John with Matthew and Mark and Luke. Bottom - a depiction of the face of St. Anastasia, get rid of ailments and poisons, with traditional symbols in the form of a cross and a glass bulb. And this is natural, since in the wild and lonely places often needed help healer.
Assumptions scientists that paintings were made in the beginning of the XV century, supported by the delicacy of their execution, which in pastel colors and soft lines and flowing folds of clothing. Unfortunately, almost all the images of the saints on the frescoes were damaged barbarians because their religious beliefs were not compatible with Christian art.
A few kilometers from the village of Kouklia is the legendary birthplace of Aphrodite, which was called - Petra tou Romiou ("stone Greeks"). According to legend, the Byzantine mythical hero Digenes Akritas defended the island from attack warships saratsianov, throwing from a high rock fragments of rock. However, according to another legend, throwing stones character named Romios. Cypriot folklore researchers found evidence that the name Romiosa Digenes acted the same. A stone's throw - Petra tou Romiou - fell into the place where, according to legend, made of foam, which was formed from the drops of blood (Cronus castrated Uranus) that fell into the sea water, was born Aphrodite - the Greek goddess, symbol of love and beauty. Lovers believe that once the miracle swim in the waves, gave rise to the goddess, they will always be together and never to part.
There is a belief that one can gain eternal youth, drifted past the full moon night in the stone Petra tou Romiou. However, even if you will find here is not eternal youth, improve their health, you can here exactly. Sea water and hot sun rays for a long time for great mood, and if you still remember that Aphrodite was born here ...
This monastery is located in the mountains, a little above the village of Tala. Besides the picturesque stone monastery complex where you can find a small museum and cave temple, painted St. Neophytos. This is where the relics of the righteous, who lived and worked in this church. Monastery of St. Neophytos devoted most revered saint of Cyprus, popularly nicknamed the Recluse, is about 10 km from Paphos.
Holy Neophytos (Neophyte) was born in the mountain village of Kato Drys in 1134 year. His father and mother Athanasios Evdoksiya were devout righteous educate eight children, but because of the extreme poverty who could not teach them to read. When turned Neophytos 17 years, parents of his betrothed with a nice girl. But boy, seven months after the engagement secretly leave the house and went to the monastery of Saint Ioannis Hrisostomasa (Chrysostom), because he has long wanted to dedicate his life to serving the Lord. After a while, the parents found the fugitive and Neophytos returned home, but the boy was able to convince them that the monastic life - is his calling. Back at the monastery, he takes vows.
The monastery Neophytos took up any work entrusted to him, but most of all he liked to work in the vineyard, as he had been accustomed from childhood to this case the father was allowed to subsist huge family. Here Neophytos learn to read, and after five years, succeeded in teaching, with the permission of abbot of the monastery, the young man begins to read the psalms in the monastery church. Bowing to the holy places of Cyprus, he, with the support of the holy elders sent to the Holy Land, where Neophytos spent about six months.
Returning home, he decides to go to Asia Minor, in order to the chaos of the mundane life of an ascetic difficult start hermit. To her he was preparing for several years, tempering his will and body. But by the will of the Lord to leave their hearth and home he failed. Remained in Cyprus, through its activities and being righteous, he became famous throughout the Christian world.
Having found in the mountains near Paphos foxhole, Neophytos settled in a small cave, where he spent two and a half months in unceasing prayer and works on arrangement of cells. Unaided, with their own hands, step by step, he turned his abode in the church, cut down into the rock additional space. The church he built in honor of the Holy Cross. Here reclusive slept and worked, he served as the couch dug grave, as a constant reminder of the impermanence of earthly life and limb. So he spent 11 years. The fame of Neophytos Hermit scattered on the whole of Cyprus, and gradually began to join him to the monks, who decided to become his followers. Cells began to appear more and 1170 year Melissovuno mountain monastery there.
Holy recluse wrote about 16 spiritual works, including psalms, hymns and historical treatise "On Cyprus disasters on earth", as well as monastic regulations for students and followers. In 1197 year left St. Neophytos former homes, seeking solitude, he hewed to a new cell. The saint died in 1214 and was buried in his own prepared tomb. Over the years, his grave was lost, and only a fluke year in 1750 his relics were discovered and moved to the main temple of the monastery. Holy skull placed in a silver shrine, and power - in a wooden sarcophagus. Cyprus famous chronicler Leontios Machaira wrote that the burial place of St. Neophytos endowed with miraculous power, and healing the sick.
Modern building of the monastery, dating from the XV century, located slightly below the cells cut into the rock. In cells, the Holy 1183 where he bequeathed to bury themselves, were painted Cypriot painter Theodoros Apsevdosom. The painting is typical of the Byzantine school of icon painting and are in excellent condition.
The monastery church, dedicated to the Virgin, is a three-nave cross-domed basilica. Effect Venetian tradition is reflected in the architecture of the temple. Icons that adorn the iconostasis dated XVI century.
Abbot of the monastery in order to preserve the treasures and make them available to users, has created a museum in the eastern wing of the monastery, there are demonstrations of the most notable treasures.
The museum consists of two parts: the pure church, which holds icons, sacred utensils and vestments spiritual XII-XIX centuries, and not the church, where the vessels are exhibited Geometric and Archaic periods Cyprus.
Visitors descend the stairs to the museum, located on the north side of the east wing. Moving west from the portico, they fall into the hallway, where cabinet is curator. Here are the small icons, mostly written in the XIX century. Only one of them, the icon of the Holy Virgin Mary, seated on a throne and holding Christ on her knees, is large. This icon was written relatively recently, in 1884 year.
The first room and hallway separates great showcase, which placed a wooden corporal (portable altar) 1684 years, two ported covering their flaps with embroidered crosses 19 century and two century paten 19 three carved wooden cross 19 century, one of which is half destroyed and has a silver base and rim, a small wooden casket in the form of cancers, decorated with colored inlaid silver buckles 18-19 centuries and pearl buckle different shapes and styles, as well as Russian Artoforion (Rukh).
Some of the precious icons exhibited in the first room:
"Jesus Christ Philanthropist" - in all probability, is the work of artist Theodore Apseuda who inflicted mural in the cell and the altar of the monastery in 1183 year. Ruined image of Christ's head was updated at the beginning of the XVI century.
"Virgin Eleusa" - is the work of the same artist, as evidenced by her performance style. Virgo displayed to the waist, turned to the left with hands raised in prayer.
Both icons date from the end 12 century. The other two icons in a carved wooden frame with a picture of the Archangel Michael and Gabriel, likely initially took place in the upper part of the iconostasis of the main temple of the monastery. According to the artistic style of these icons similar to the icons "Great Supplication", which gives the right to believe that they belong to the same period. Maybe these works belong to the hand of the artist Joseph HURIST, painted icons "Great Supplication" in 1544 year. In the same period were made Holy Gate (their size 150-94,5 cm), which initially was crowned iconostasis. At the top of the gates of the image of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin, below left - Gregory the Theologian and St. John Chrysostom, right - Saints Basil and neophyte. Icon of St. Neophytos earlier and is a gift of the monk Neophytos, which is described as a new founder of the monastery. Another icon of St. Basil, John and Gregory the Theologian Hrisostoma dated to the end or beginning of 16 17 centuries.
Royal gates of the XVIII century on display in the second room. They are in relatively good condition. They are shown at the top of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin at the bottom - with St. Basil, John Chrysostom, right - Gregory the Theologian and St. Nicholas. In this room, and also exhibited other icons: St. John the Baptist (1794 year), the icon of St. Anthony (1819), the St. Gregory (1845g.) Saints and Viheanos 40 great martyr, St. Hermogenes, the icon "Entry into Jerusalem", written in 19 century cross with Christ Crucified and Lipiron on which the image of the Virgin, dated 16 century. Cross and Lipiron brought from the church of St. Kendeasa g.Pafos.
In this room are exhibited different gospel with silver covers. On the cover of the gospel front silver plate with embossed decoration and Crucifixion of Christ in the middle, and around - the scene of the Passion. The cover on the back side image of the Resurrection of Christ, and all around - the appearance of Christ disciples. Under the image of Christ's Resurrection inscription mentioning the giver, abbot Chrysanthos, healers, and the date 1848 year.
Leather cover of the second Gospel contains silver plated cross with an image of Christ's Resurrection and the edges of the cross on top - "Preparation" on the left - John the Evangelist, right - the Holy Virgin, and below - Saint Neophytos incline your knees in prayer. In the corners of the image of a silver plate four Evangelists. On the reverse side on a silver medallion relief depicts the waist Saint Neophytos. In this room the windows of printed books and manuscripts, the oldest of which has no beginning or end and contains preaching the gospel of St. Neophytos. This manuscript dates from the late XII-XIII centuries beginning. Book Apostle, also has no beginning or end, is written on the assumptions at the end of the beginning 16 17-centuries. This book contains prayers Mass., written by John Hrisostomom and Holy Basil, dedication ceremony for Anagnostisa, below the rank of deacon, deacon and priest, written by a monk in Ioannicius Kikkotisom 1698 year. The remaining manuscripts mainly musical and dated 18-19 centuries.
The oldest manuscript in the museum is part of the papyrus size 15h13 cm from the VI century. Here are books with the writings of St. Neophytos, who 1779 were edited in Venice.
In the third room exhibited small antique items and stole icons. Most valuable, despite the restoration, is the icon of Panagia Englestriani gift of the former abbot Joachim, the artist's work Feofilaktosa (16 century). Former abbot Joachim pictured here on his knees prays to the Virgin. Another icon, the "Descent from the Cross (Epitaph Lament)" - the image of Christ lying on the shroud.
Wonderful and Russian triptych, in the center of the image is the Coronation of the Virgin - the plot, which is alien to Orthodox tradition. Sheet on the right image of the Archangel Michael and Jesus Nevityanina top - St. John Brontssky and St. Nicholas below. Sheet on top of the left image of the Archangel Gabriel and the Prophet Daniel, and bottom - St. Demetrius Bishop of Rostov and St. George. Next located silver lining and triptych icon of Saint Neophytos (1888 y).
Small objects on display are presented on the left pectoral cross bracelets, there are also crayfish, buckles and print Paphos Bishop Epiphanius (1890-1899 years.).
Showcase between the third and fourth room contains a gilded chalice 1848 year and silver paten 1848 years (both given as a gift housekeeper Chrysanthos), silver candelabra 19 century bronze Enoch 18-19 century, container for holy water and two containers for rose water, one of which dates from the glass 19 century and the other from - silver 1911 year. Here are three of his staff handle the abbot. One of them contains an inscription and date - 1864 year.
In the fourth room, you can see the icon of St. Neophytos 17-18 century, four fragments of the altar gates 16 century, they are attached to the south wall. Standing on the ruins image prelate Large icons of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin (gift monk Neophytos, who died in 1511 year), a small icon of Panagia tou Kiku (1815g.) and staves abbot (18-19 century) and candles (19-20 centuries. ), with painted wooden ornaments and silver electrodes.
Coming out of this room, visitors enter a large western hall where pottery Geometric and Archaic periods, and then go through the built at the north end of the museum stairs.
Just outside the town of Paphos is the village of Lemba, where you can see the excavation of one of the oldest settlements in the island, as well as several layouts ancient lodges, as the village is located in the open air museum arts college.
The nature of this extraordinarily beautiful coastal village, here you can see the most spectacular sea sunset. In the vicinity of the Lemba grow the most ancient terebinth, whose age has more 500 years.
Lemba quite stands out among other villages in Paphos region for its historical features. Near the coast there is a place, like Lamb, connected with the ancient past, it is here where it was discovered one of the ancient settlements of Cyprus.
On the outskirts of the village sign posted «Prehistoris Village», indicating lying nearby village of Lemba Experimental that partially reconstructed under a settlement of the Bronze Age (about 3500-2500 years. BC). Here were found female figurines, engraved stones of this period, as well as pottery and coins of later times. British archaeologists managed to recover fully only six round huts, having a cylindrical shape and temporary roofs and adobe oven, typical for that time. You can look into the hut and plunge into the ancient past of Cyprus.
Village Lempa (Lemba) is also called the village artists. With 1981 year here is the Cyprus College of Fine Arts, with which has been renovated old school. It is there with 1981 years undeveloped art studio, the world known for its artists. Since Lamb is an international famous artists colony.
Artists, craftsmen and their apprentices contain their studios in the local village houses. For young artists and sculptors from around the world artist Stas Paraskosom in summer courses are organized.
On the edge of the road leading to the college, with sculptures, this "line" as the Great Wall Sculptural Lembo. Could be interesting visit potteries.
Until 1963 year was predominantly Turkish village, but in connection with the events 1974 years (Turkish occupation of the northern part of the island), the Turkish population to leave the Lemba, turning to the north. In the deserted village there are only a small number of Greek refugees.
Hrisoroyatissa monastery was built in the year 1152 Ignatius hermit who lived in a cave near where he found the icon of Our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate. It was for her, he began to build the church. Much later, around the church was founded a monastery. Icon painted by St. Luke, was found on the seabed. According to legend, during the period of iconoclasm it was lowered into the water in Asia Minor and sailed across the sea to the shores of Cyprus. Icon is placed in the silver frame and stored in the monastery. Abode Hrisoroyatissa known for its wines and honey, that you can buy in the monastery shop.
Modern building of the monastery and most surviving buildings that belong to 1770 year, a collection of icons and other valuable relics.
The monastery of the Virgin Hrisoroyatissy been through a lot in its history and existence of numerous famous miracles of the Virgin. In the XIII century it was a real monastery, a place of prayer and peace, where about 40 monks. Since the time of the Frankish rule until the end of Turkish rule there was an icon-painting workshop. Monastery in 1821 was sacked by the Turks, and the old abbot Joachim was tortured, he died in the same year. The main part of the monastery is a single-nave and without a dome. Here is a silver gilt cross - Dragoman Hadigeorgakis Kornesios gift.
Today, abbot of the monastery is a refugee from the monastery of St. Spyridon (g Trimifunt), unfortunately, he has to fight alone for the existence of this sanctuary, a place of worship of believers not only from Paphos, but with the whole of Cyprus. Abbot in his specialty is art restorer, he vigilantly stands guard relics and shrines of the monastery, among them rare icons.
Hrisoroyatissa monastery known for its wines. Here, in the walls of the monastery, made one of the Archery vintage wines of the island. In addition to wine, in the monastery shop you can buy honey, books, various souvenirs, icons, crosses and more.
Every year in August in the monastery 15 passes worship on the occasion of the Assumption. At the entrance to the monastery on the edge of the road unfolds Fair, where local traders can buy sweets, souvenirs and much more.
The monastery complex consists of two parts. North, more ancient part, was built in the XII century on the ruins of a Christian basilica and was a church in the shape of a cross with a dome. Later, in 1744 year, it was attached southern part cruciform building with a dome - porch of the house with an octagonal dome.
Unfortunately, the bumbling 1866 restorer all damaged frescoes belonging to the monastery and dated 12-13 centuries, except for the ceiling fresco "the Almighty." XVI century iconostasis represents artistic value, especially the icon of the Savior and the Mother of God. In DEESIS rank noticeably influence of Italian art. Diptych on the icon-XVII century under Venetian emblem image 12 Apostles.
Special value of the Temple is the miraculous icon of Our Lady of Hriseliusa. Wax legs set under the icon mean the fact of miraculous healing leg believers in their prayers.
These baths were built during Turkish rule and operated until the mid XX century. Stone building, which has vaulted ceilings, is divided into three main parts: the front desk, dressing room and bath themselves. The building was renovated by the municipality of Paphos, in the future, it plans to use as a Cultural Centre.
Panagia tou Sinti (abandoned) - an abandoned monastery on the banks of the River Xeros. The central nave of the church (XVI century), well preserved and today is considered one of the most important Venetian buildings. For restoration work at the monastery 1997 won «Europa Nostra».
Picturesque location Xeros river banks, where there is a monastery, has attracted particular attention beauty of the landscape and tranquility prevails around. This monastery was abandoned many years ago, but its original appearance was restored. It is believed that the monastery was built in 1542 year and was first fully autonomous, but during the Turkish rule, he was given a patronage Kikkoskogo monastery.
A picturesque village situated in the mountains, is the birthplace of Archbishop Makarios III, who in turn was the first president of Cyprus. The house in which he was born, turned into a museum.
Policy - a resort city located north-west of the coast of Cyprus. The town and surrounding area are many historical and natural attractions. Among them the most famous are the Akamas National Park and the world-famous Baths of Aphrodite. However, the list of interesting places is not limited.
Sandy beaches and huge number of attractions you can find half an hour west of Paphos, in the town with the interesting name of Coral Bay. You can also visit the picturesque mountain village of Peyia, where is the early Christian basilica. A little to the west - the territory of the Akamas National Park, where green turtle nests Mediterranean.