Close Troodos mountain range is located in the western part of Cyprus. It is stretching on 80 km ridge, covered with pine trees, so do not like the sunny seaside resort of Cyprus, that is really worthy of at least a one-day private excursions.
Here you can visit the many monasteries and see interensoe natural and historical sites preserved in the mountains, skiing or just a breath of fresh air.
Kykkos Monastery founded in 1100, in honor of the Blessed Virgin is now the largest, well-known and rich in Cyprus. He is known throughout the Orthodox world, and here all year round pilgrims. The monastery is one of the three surviving icons of the Virgin, the authorship of which is ascribed to St. Luke. Although the monastery burned to the ground several times, the icon has always remained intact.
Kykkos Monastery is one of the most famous monasteries in Cyprus. Holy Kykkos Monastery is located in the western part of Troodos ridge, at an altitude of 1200 meters above sea level. The full name of the monastery - Royal Stavropegic Holy Kykkos Monastery. Kykkotissa Monastery of Our Lady was founded around the end of the XI century. Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos (1081-1118), so he called the king. Stauropegic monastery named because the cornerstone of the construction of a cross ("Stavros").
This monastery is dedicated to Panagia (Holy Mary) Eleusa. Holy Icon of the Mother of God - a gift to the Emperor Alexius Comnenus, and one of three icons painted by St. Luke the Evangelist, placed in a convent. The main source of the history of the monastery is the story of the founding of the Holy Kykkos Monastery and the history of the miraculous icon of the Mother of God, written by well-known Ephraim Athens in 1751 year. Ephraim had access to earlier documents and descriptions of the monastery, dated 1422 year before they were destroyed during the fire, when the church was burned and its facilities.
So far, there is no precise explanation as to the name of the place Kykkos. One point of view is of the opinion that the name is derived from the bush that grew apart in the area known as Kokkos or Kokkonen. According to another point of view, are the roots of the word cookie or the like indicating the voice or song birds, which is prophetic believe singing human voice:
"Kykkou, Kykkou hill Kykkos,
On-site there monastery
Golden lady enters it
And never again will. "
It is understood that the "golden lady" - is an icon of the Mother of God, and Monastery - Royal Stavropegic Holy Kykkos Monastery, where the holy icon is already more than 900 years.
Regarding the history of the monastery there is the following legend. In one of the caves on Mount Kykkos lived a virtuous hermit named Isaiah. One day, the Byzantine ruler Manuel Vutomitis island, hot summers vacationing in the village Maratasas. went into the forest to hunt. Having lost the road, he lost in the woods, where the Dodgers met a monk Isaiah. Vutomitis asked him to show him the way back. However, the ascetic, avoiding the world, has left the request unanswered. Then, angry because of the neglect of himself Vutomitis not only cursed monk, but hit him. Some time passed, and the governor of the island, returning to Nicosia, became ill with an incurable disease. Vutomitis remembered how inhumanly he behaved with hermit Isaiah. Wanting to go and apologize to him personally, Vutomitis asked God to heal him, that immediately happened. However, God appeared and before the devotee, telling him that all that had happened was the will of God. Then God convinced him to demand from Vutomitisa bring to Cyprus icon of the Mother of God, which was written by the Apostle Luke, and which was kept in the imperial palace in Constantinople. Vutomitis shuddered with fear when he heard the desire of Isaiah, as it seemed to him impossible. Then the monk to achieve his goal, he explained that it was the will of God, after which they agreed to go to Constantinople together.
Time passed, and Vutomitisu still can not provide suitable case to meet. Emperor and ask him for an icon. Therefore, providing all the necessary monk Isaiah, and assured him that he would soon see the emperor, Vutomitis hermits sent back to Cyprus. By God's discretion, the daughter of the Byzantine emperor fell ill with the same disease that Vutomitis. Manuel, took the opportunity to appear before the Emperor Alexius, went to him and told him his own story, convincing it so that the healing of her daughter going to happen at that moment, when Alex will send to Cyprus holy icon of the Mother of God, however, the emperor did not want to leave with the icon of the Mother of God, he invited to his court the best icon painter and ordered him to write a copy of the holy icon to send it to Cyprus instead of the original.
In the evening the Virgin herself appeared in a dream to the Emperor and told him that it will send Her Holy icon to Cyprus, and a copy of it may keep. The next day the imperial ship with the icon of the Mother of God on the board went to Cyprus, where she met a monk Isaiah. Popular rumor has it that when the icon was transferred to. coast in the Troodos mountains, forest reverently bowed their branches, thus commemorating the holy icon. The money allocated to the Emperor Alexius I Komnenos. It was erected a temple where the icon was placed, and built a monastery.
Since its founding, Kykkos Monastery suffered many disasters, and was the most destructive fires. Rescue icon from these fires was really the greatest wonder. In 1365 the monastery was completely destroyed. This is such a story: "On the day of the fire at the Monastery were a lot of sick people with faith in the miracles of Panagia and hope for his recovery. While the Monastery gosteval poor man who was completely paralyzed. Locals surrounding villages went to the mountains to collect wild honey. Finding honey, he lit a fire to ward off the bees. Unfortunately, the fire flared up so much that reached the monastery. At this point, the paralyzed man as if staying in a vision and heard the Theotokos, saying to him, "rises quickly, take the icon and go, save yourself!" Paralyzed man, not believing his eyes, he stood up on his legs became strong. Seeing stealing up the fire, he grabbed the holy icons and put it high on a pine tree on the south side of the monastery. Monks grief knew no bounds, because they could not find the icon. Suddenly, their eyes fell on the spot where there was no fire, but the fire raged around. The monks rushed there and faced a double miracle: rescue and recovery Icons paralyzed man. The monastery was destroyed, but the holy icon was saved. The monastery was rebuilt with money Elionora, wife of Peter Lusignans. She was in Marafase and this area was given to her as a dowry.
In 1541, when a monk of St. Simeon was abbot of the monastery, there came another devastating fire, but we do not have the details of the event of its occurrence.
In 1751 the monastery burned for a third time. Details of the events recorded on the board in the wall of the west wing of the monastery. "That the beauty of the Monastery, you see, was created thanks to the dedication and efforts of skilled artisans. In 1751 year, for some unknown reason, a fire destroyed the church and all the adjacent buildings. Monks have been saved through the grace of the Mother of God, which they put on the two years in the basilica, and then to the Holy Monastery of the year. Later, Reverend, abbot of the monastery, built it again, and made him humble Meletios.
In 1813 the monastery was destroyed by fire for the fourth time. This event tells us the inscription found on the outside of the entrance to the church: "In 1813 year, 8-July, in the terrible night of the medium, the raging fire was much stronger than in previous fires, because after there was nothing left of what is contained in the side of the church, by divine providence and monks. With the help of Panagia Monastery was later rebuilt again, as beautiful as you see it now ... "
The monastery survived not only the disaster. During the Ottoman period, the icon has repeatedly been jeopardized by marauding raids, and monks often had to replace this icon, hiding it in a cave. And then Kutchyuk Mehmet ordered to rob the monastery and bring him abbot Joseph shackled in chains. Later, Joseph was beheaded along with the other monks in the period of the bloody July 1821
Kykkos Monastery The church was originally wooden and therefore a fire in the city 1365 It was not difficult to destroy. Next Church, built in the city 1500 wood and stone, has also been destroyed, the 1541 and again rebuilt using only stone - it was a new one-room church with side nave. Church with three naves, in the form of preserved until today, was built in the city of 1745 Her injuries develop over time, in general, have been corrected. The church was built in the style of the basilica with a dome, the central nave is dedicated to Panagia, left - Archangels Michael and Gabriel, and the right - all the Saints.
The monastery in 1997 was opened museum where exhibits and numerous relics of the monastery. Read more about the museum Kykkos Monastery here.
The Kykkos Monastery holds a unique relic: the icon of the Mother of God Kykkotissa (Panagia Eleusa). Actually Panagia (St Mary's) and is dedicated to the Eleousa monastery. Giving states that St. Luke (Apostle of the Seventy, a companion of the Apostle Paul, a Christian saint, revered as the author of one of the four Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles) wrote the icon - one of his three creations - using as a model Theotokos: the very Mother of God, when she was still alive. By giving, the Angels gave him three "Boards" for the three icons, respectively. Icon made by means of mastic and wax, and it depicts the Mother of God, holding her son. It is believed that Panagia she was delighted with the icons, exclaiming at her as: "May the grace of the Lord, him, I gave birth, he lives in me with it."
With this icon have been many adventures. After Our Lady of the Assumption, Luke went to Egypt, taking with him an icon. After the death of Luke icon remained in the hands of the faithful Christians who saved her during the time of iconoclasm. In 730, Emperor Leo III the Isaurian forbade the veneration of icons. The result was the destruction of thousands of iconoclasm icons and mosaics, frescoes, statues of saints and altarpieces painted in many churches. Iconoclasm has been officially recognized by the iconoclastic Council of 754, with the support of Emperor Constantine V Copronymus sternly turned against ikonopochitateley, especially the monks.
Once the believers who was an icon, decided to take her to Greece, but they were not lucky as the ship came to the Arabs, who took them captive. Fortunately, after a short stay in the sea, past the two proply¬vali Byzantine ship, which rescued the Christians, and the captains took the icon with him to Constantinople and gave it as a gift to the Emperor.
And in the beginning of XII century Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos gave the icon Cypriot hermit Isaiah and gave funds for the establishment of the Holy Monastery of Kykkos on the mountain, where it placed.
Kikkotissa Panagia (from Kykkos) known as Panagia Eleousa - a source of mercy (eleos) believers. As ikonografichseky type Eleousa Virgin is a depiction of the Virgin and clung to her cheek Christ.
The icon of Panagia Kikkotissa placed on the iconostasis of the church, to the left of the central doors of the iconostasis, the third in a series on the carved oak throne inlaid with gold. Initially, the icon was decorated with gold inlay and covered with silver in 1576 year, which replaced a similar coating in 1795 year. The museum of the monastery are still preserved the first coating icons.
At the bottom of the cover decorated with an inscription, which in simple language reads as follows: "This is one of the three most worthy icons painted by the Apostle Luke, on the instructions of the Holy Virgin Mary, seven years after the Ascension. Virgin called "Eleousa", since it is the source of mercy. The icon was brought here during the reign of Alexius Comnenus and was originally covered with precious metals in 1576 year when abbot was Gregory, and 1795 year ,, when the abbot Meletios was respectable. "
Holy icons, and covered her face is not visible, perhaps this was the desire of Alexius Comnenus, or so she gets more respect from the pilgrims.
The icon has always been closed and this tradition continues to remain a religious faith and holy reverence. Of course, there were a number of exceptions (violations), the most famous of which are the following:
1. In 1699 year, Gerasimos, the patriarch of Alexandria, very cultural and spiritual leader, visited the monastery and tried to lift the veil from the face of the icon of the Mother of God. The penalty, which he was subject, and forgiveness that he had received, by Gerasimos confirmed in a letter sent in 1751 year, in which he describes what he saw.
2. John, the most loyal monk from Rhodes, enlightenment and educated man, visited Jerusalem in 1776 year. On his way back he stopped in the monastery and stayed the night in the church. At one point he tried to remove the veil from the icons, but a sudden a bright light coming out of it for a while blinded him. Monks prayed, and his sight was restored.
For island and Christians Kykkos Mother of God is the assistant for all those in need, as well as a wicked avenging angel. Handprint on the right of the icon remains as a reminder of the person whose hand withered when he reached out to defile the icon. Next to this hand weighs language swordfish, passed the monastery in memory of the next miracle. The inscription tells us about it in detail:
«15-1718 October, the ship traveling from Aliki (near Larnaca) to Cape St. Andreas at night attacked a large sea monster known as the swordfish, which struck side of the ship. Water began to arrive in large numbers, the ship filled with water and began to sink. People on board the ship began to frantically shout loudly, devoutly imploring the fate of "Panagia Kykkou! Help us! "And in fact, a miracle happened and the ship saved by a true story!"
For centuries we have believed until now that the icon of Panagia Kykkou works wonders.
Abbot of the fathers of the Royal Stavropegial Holy Kykkos Monastery, wanting to contribute to the spiritual and cultural development of the people through the preservation, study and display of works of art, which has for more than 900 years holds within its walls the old convent Kykkotissa Mother of God, decided to create a research center opened Museum of the Holy Kykkos Monastery.
The abbot of the monastery, taking into account all the scientific requirements to be met by a modern museum, like, at the same time, create a richly decorated exhibition center, which would be reminded of the glory and majesty of the Byzantine Empire and reveals the essence of the term "Royal", which is contained in the official title monastery and directly connects it with the Byzantine Empire, which conceived the idea of founding the Holy Kykkos Monastery and where the money had been allocated for its construction.
Build a museum exercised architectural bureau "I. And L. Philippos ". Floors museum halls lined with granite and marble. Ceilings, paneled walnut, carved and gilded. Expensive materials, thoughtful lighting, Byzantine musical accompaniment, the only one of its kind exhibits, most of which are made of precious metals, gold, silver, glazes, ivory, silk, purple, pearls and other stones - all this puts the visitor in a special atmosphere, which helps to feel the spirit of past times and visualize the glory and greatness of Hellenism and Orthodoxy.
Exhibition halls of the museum located in the northwest part of the monastery. Through the entrance, located on the north side of the large inner courtyard of the monastery, you will come to the museum. Entering the door luxury chetyrёhstvorchatye vaulted entrance and up the stairs oblong, you will find yourself in the lobby of the museum, where in-depth, in a specially equipped place (room №5), is a gift shop where you can buy books, slides, postcards, copies of exhibits many more.
In the middle of the granite floor is lined with marble image of a bee, the name of the abbot of the monastery of Mr. Nikiforos and the date of construction of the museum - 1995 of Bee, which symbolizes the hard work and obedience, is the official coat of arms of Kykkos abbot from the XVIII century. On the left, on the south wall hangs a plaque with the following text:
"The building that you see a visitor, the museum called the Holy Kykkos Monastery. Its like a safe repository of cultural monuments, built abbot Mr. Nikiforos, benefactor of good initiatives in izbavitelny year 1995, in order to remember him in their prayers future generations. "
In the first room of the museum demonstrates the pre-Christian cultural monuments. The bulk of the exposure of the Cypriot ceramics from the Bronze Age (2300 BC) to the Roman era, inclusive (50 BC - 330 AD). The collection includes various types of vessels and destinations.
A large rectangular hall (№ 2) is positioned relative to the hall to the north. It presents the cultural monuments of Byzantine and poslevizantiyskogo period (IV century. N.e.- Ser. XX c.). Early Christian collection contains mainly bronze artifacts - lamps, crosses of different types, censers, chandeliers, lamps stand.
The museum has a rich collection of art articles made of gold and silver. The diverse liturgical utensils, Holy Chalice, the tabernacle, the paten, lamps, hand censer (kapei) vessels myrrh, reliquaries, staves, Zion, dikiri and trikiri (bishop's candlesticks), vessels for holy water, spoons, salaries liturgical Gospels - is that was given to the museum of Cyprus, Asia Minor (Smyrna, Cappadocia, Constantinople), and even far-away Russia.
Kykkos Monastery is known for its rare collection of holy relics, which are in his possession. The holy relics are stored in special ark (Sion), mainly wood or silver, the so-called reliquary. Most of them have a closed book, which is decorated with the image of Our Lady of Kykkotissa and faces of the saints, the particles of the holy relics are located within these reliquary. Special openings inside are designed to accommodate the particles of holy relics and the cross.
Exhibition of icons continues in the next room, which is located a relatively large room in the west. In this room we enter the hall № 2 through a small corridor. The octagonal dome of the hall there is an image of Christ Pantocrator (the artist Sozos Yannudis). Granite floor in the middle of the hall is decorated with a peacock, a symbol of Heavenly Paradise. The floor is laid out multi-colored pieces of marble (Master George Greysher). In this room except the icons shown Byzantine frescoes, woodcarving and church utensils.
Other artistic values represented in the museum are paper icons, religious engravings that monastery or print and distribute its pilgrims during the Turkish rule, or used them to illustrate various publications.
Area famous Troodos one of the largest groups of Byzantine churches and monasteries dating from the beginning of the XI century to the XVI. The complex is made up of eleven sites included in the World Heritage List, and richly decorated with murals, provides an overview of Byzantine and post-Byzantine of the painting in Cyprus. These sites are very different - from small churches, rustic architectural style which contrasts strongly with their exquisite finish to large monasteries.
According to II, III, IV criteria of 1985 9 Painted Churches in the Troodos Region (Church of St. Nicholas in Kakopetria, the church of the Virgin of Asinou (Panagia Forviotissa) in Nikitari, Monastery of St. Lampadistis in Kalopanaetis, Church of Our Lady Arakiotissy in Lagoudera, Church of the Holy Cross in Pelendri, Shrine of Our Lady Mutulas in Mutulase, the Temple of Archangel Michael in Pedoulas, the Temple of the Holy Cross in Platanistisa, Church of Panagia Podithou in Galata) were included in the World Heritage List under the number 351. The fact that the Church included in the list according to the above criteria, resulted in the following: their paintings date back to the Byzantine civilization, such as the church in Nikitari and Lagoudera, where dedication is mentioned the name of Alexius Comnenus, were probably rospisany artists from Constantinople and the Church in Lagoudera was rospisana in the fall Komnenian and sale Lusignan Cyprus, ie Complex is an exceptional testimony to a cultural tradition and civilization (Criterion III); Church Troodos district - a well-preserved example of rural religious architecture in the Byzantine period, the decor is a contrast with their simple structure, the latest post-Byzantine mural painters with their "rustic" style in harmony with this folk architecture, that is. e. objects represent an outstanding example of a type of building (in this case, a sample of "rooftop" hramostroitelstva), illustrates an important stage in the history of humanity (Criterion IV); although the existence of any direct impact on the Cypriot iconographic art can not be confirmed exactly during the XII century really existed a very close relationship between the Cyprus and Western Christian art (like style, iconographic techniques), thus the above places of worship reflect the importance of the relationship of human values that exist for a certain period of time and within a particular cultural area, and the development of architecture and monumental art (criterion II).
Summarizing all the above, we can say that the uniqueness of the churches of the Troodos region is a special architectural "roof" type hramostroitelstva and paintings.
In 2001, under number 351bis according to I, II, III, IV and VI of the criteria to the list of world heritage attached Church of the Transfiguration of Christ in Paleochora (beginning. XVI c.), And in 2005, the treasury of the world cultural heritage deposited in the temple of the Holy Sozomenos Galata, dating from the XVI century.
In the XII century. Church of the Holy Cross was built in the village Pelendri - trёhsvodchaty, domed church with unique wall paintings. At the beginning of the IV century, Saint Helena, the mother of the Byzantine Emperor Constantine the Great, made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, was returning to Constantinople. The storm forced Elena refuge off the coast of Cyprus. At night, the True Cross of the Lord, which the Queen found in Jerusalem and was carrying with him, mysteriously disappeared, and soared over the high mountain, its glow illuminating the island of Cyprus. Conquering the Divine Banner, St. Helen erected in Cyprus several Christian monasteries and churches for the glory of the Cross. From generation to generation passed on the legend of hovering over the island of the Cross, and Cyprus continued to build more and more new churches dedicated to the Holy Cross. One of these temples was built in Pelendri in the XII century.
At that time, the village was a feudal property of the Prince of Antioch and John Constable of Cyprus I and belonged to him, at least until that terrible moment when he fell victim to the treacherous conspiracy. Later, who succeeded King John II gave Pelendri his queen Helena Palaeologus. And these vast lands, until the middle of the XV century, remained in the possession of the royal family.
Single-nave domed church with a lancet arch and side niches, was executed in the Franco-Byzantine style. Then arch, carved through the central niche, joined later adjoined to the north aisle of the nave which, almost certainly, was Latin chapel. In the following century, the temple was rebuilt and renovated several times. The latest addition was the south aisle and the whole structure was taken into common roof. Today, the church of the Holy Cross includes three naves, of which only one - central - serving ends beyond the apse of the church. South decorates partially survived inside the apse, which is totally lost in the northern chapel. Crowned temple drum with tent dome and cross.
Painted the temple of the canons of the Byzantine church painting. The central dome of the usual image of Christ Almighty (Pantocrator) surrounded by gods, including the symbolic images of the evangelists: the angel (Matthew), a lion (Mark), bull (Luke) and the eagle (John). Sixteen of the prophets of the Old Testament, raznesshih good news around the world, have their traditional place in the spaces between the windows of the drum.
At the altar, where the top of the apse reveal the image of the Virgin Mary "Oranta" with the appearance of Jesus Christ in a medallion. The traditional scene of the Communion of the Apostles (the Eucharist), occupied in ancient times in the middle of the altar wall of the temple of the Holy Cross is absent. Under the image of the Virgin placed creators of Christian worship, such as Cyprus and the saints - Spiridon and Epiphanius Trifonos.
The true ornament of the central nave is a wooden iconostasis, with beautiful gilded carvings and ornaments, composed of simple geometric shapes - squares and triangles, with a predominance of gold, red, gray and black colors. Although the temple is dedicated to the Holy Cross, an image of Jesus Christ it does not dominate. The inner space of the central nave is occupied more detailed description of the life of Our Lady. In 14 the pictures fit the narrative of the life of Mary and, finished a traditional scene of the Assumption.
The New Testament cycle presented today on the south wall of the nave and the vaults with scenes of the Last Supper, the Crucifixion and the Ascension. In the bottom row of the central hall a series of saints rotates. Among them are images of the apostles Peter and Paul, St. Anthony (the founder of monasticism) and St. Simeon.
The presence of the coat of arms in Northern chapel of the temple suggests that it was the chapel of noble lords, and possibly the Prince John, younger brother of King Petros I. After the symbolism associated with the image of a lion, was a feature of Lusignan.
Decorates a small chapel carved gilded iconostasis.
In the church are kept two large wooden cross. Silver salary of one of them completely covered with scenes from the life of Jesus. In the center - under the image of SS Constantine and Helena with the True Cross-found, a small cavity-saving small symbolic bronze cross.
Wall paintings of the temple are made in two different artistic styles. One of them reflects the tradition of the so-called renaissance Palaeologus. In this manner discharged dome vault of the sanctuary, the eastern and northern side chapel of the sail. These paintings are elegant and soft delicate flowers. For other typical post-Byzantine style, detailed and somewhat rustic. Saturated colors and intense, angular shapes, and stocky.
A couple of centuries ago, the Church of the Holy Cross in Pelendri been abandoned. Every winter from its stone walls stoned huge snowdrifts. And only in the early twentieth century by the villagers it was restored and appeared in his charm admiring glances of people. The church is under the protection of UNESCO 1985 years.
According to legend, in this quiet and secluded location, where the pine-giants rush into the blue skies, the refugees from Agiasmati, near Constantinople, founded in memory of the land of their fathers eponymous monastery. They also, in all probability, and brought with them from Asia Minor manuscript containing colorful miniatures that tell of Saint Helena, its search and finding of the True Cross. This legend, popular in the West during the Crusades, was not as widespread in the Byzantine world. How was the fate of the monastery, we do not know. But at the beginning of the XVIII century, when a monk Basil Barsky traveled to Cyprus, the monastic life in Agiasmati already faded. And to this day the story has retained a unique architectural and artistic terms the ancient Byzantine church, which is now protected by an international organization UNESCO.
Church of Exaltation of the Holy Cross (Agiasmati) is located in the village of Platanistasa (area of Nicosia) - in the east of the Troodos Mountains, just below the village of Lagoudera. This church - the only surviving structure of a small monastery, which is mentioned in the inscription above the southern entrance to the temple.
Build a church Exaltation of the Cross was in the early Venetian period, at the end of the XV century. All its walls, both internal and external, were decorated with frescoes of luxury. To protect them from the vagaries of the weather, the church from four sides by a portico, wider on the west side, where there is usually rapolagaet narthex (lobby), and built a steep wooden roof covered flat roof tiles, creating a unique structure that has kept under its roof a beautiful and unique, not only for Cyprus, but also for the whole world, museum murals. In the central and single nave, which is in the east is traditionally crowned by a semicircular apse, of the cloister are three entrances.
The church was built at the expense of the priest Petar Peter and his wife Pepanii and painted their means Philip Gul (Syrian origin, was considered at that time one of the best artists) or 1494 year or 1505. It's all painted painter Philip Gul but the outer part of the west wall, which depicts "Second Coming." In the first half of XX century. this mural was rewritten and changed its composition. The uniqueness of the painting of the church consists in the fact that in his work the artist used three different artistic styles. Philip Gul familiar with Western painting, tried to reconcile the Byzantine and Western traditions based on local color.
Exhibitions of painting can be divided into two cycles: 30 scenes from the New Testament are located in the top tier of the nave, and in the bottom of the image are located 30 saints.
To the left of the altar in the northern niche discharged Holy Cross, which is devoted to the church. All the space niches and arches occupy every corner of the miniature scenes. They tell the story of Saint Helena finding the True Cross. According to legend, Queen Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine, deeply honoring the Lord's Cross, and eager to find him, in 326 year went up to Jerusalem. Having collected all the Jewish people, she tried to find out where the buried Cross on which Jesus Christ was crucified. But no one remembers it. Angered, the queen promised to severely punish the silent. And then people pointed to Judas, whose family treasured legend of the Holy Cross. But the Jew persistently denied the accuracy of what was said. Then the queen ordered to throw him into a deep pit, and left without food. On the third day, Judas decided to tell Elena that while praying at Calvary inspiration came to him, and he felt buried where the True Cross. At this point, St. Helen organized essentially the first archaeological excavations of Christian relics. Then we found three crosses and a plate with the words: "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Iudesky." Found solemnly handed over to the queen. To find out which of them is true, the crosses in turn began to bring to the dead woman. And when they laid the Cross of Christ, a miracle happened - a woman alive. Judas believed in God and became a Christian, he later became bishop of Jerusalem under the name Siriakos. Later he nashёlgvozdi, who were driven into the body of Christ, and brought them as a gift to the queen. The painting, which thanks Elena kneeling bishop closes the cycle of scenes devoted to the search for the Holy Cross. And if traditionally on both sides of the Cross are depicted Constantine and Helena, which symbolizes his miraculous discovery, the church at the base of Agiasmati Cross - holy warriors, clad in Roman armor with a cross on his chest. These unique details underline the extraordinary opening theme Cross and reflect the influence of Western culture on the work of the artist. It is in this composition showed skill Philip Gul, who was able to adapt the realistic style of portrait miniatures to the Byzantine system of monumental painting.
Church of Archangel Michael was built in the village of Pedoulas - at the head of the valley Marafas, half a mile above the village Mutullas. A feature of the Church of the Archangel Michael in Pedoulas can be considered clearly indicated the authorship of the frescoes, as well as a rich range depicts scenes - from the Old to the New Testament.
Vaulted, with a wooden roof and a semicircular apse, open to the east, according to the inscription dedicating the northern entrance of the church of the Archangel Michael was built and decorated in 1474, the priest Vasilios on donations Chamadosa. Any information stored in the Library of the Greek Patriarchate of Jerusalem, the temple of Archangel already 1472 city existed on this site may have a somewhat different form. Images donators (donors) Vasilios Chamadosa with his wife and children, prepodnosyaschih temple of Archangel Michael can be seen above the southern door.
From the harsh mountain weather and building murals protects gable roof - a feature of many churches in the Troodos.
The wooden iconostasis of the church - one of the most interesting in Cyprus, and in the center of the cornice - the emblem of Lusignan, which indicates that the chapel was within the boundaries of the royal fief, but in addition, we can find here and the two-headed Byzantine eagle imperial dynasty.
Inside the whole church is painted with frescoes. This church - one of the few in Cyprus, which survived the artist's name, decorate it. On the western triangle, you can read the inscription, which mentions the author of the frescoes - from Minas Mirianfusy. Master of Minas has worked in the Byzantine iconographic style. Painter Minas known the image of Our Lady of Hodegetria (Putevoditelnitsy) stored now at the Byzantine Museum, founded by Archbishop Makarios III. Minas is also considered the author of two images in the church of the Holy Cross in Pedoulas - a smaller version of the Hodegetria and the Archangel Michael.
Special value differ by Minas Vlahernitissy image of the Virgin surrounded by Archangels Michael and Gabriel in the conch of the apse; Archangel Michael on the north wall of St. George on the south. St. George is depicted traditionally galloping, thinly prescribed folds waving scarlet cloak attract the attention of "brand" red Minas. The figure of the Archangel Michael stands out forward, occupying the entire northern wall. Image scale is monumental, allowing you to enjoy the elegant robes of the heavenly warrior letter carefully spelled out his feathers and angel wings youthful curls. This image can rightly be considered one of the most ambitious ever to be created by the Cypriot artists. Michael's eyes proud and harsh at the same time, it always reads the determination to fulfill the will of God and fight evil forces.
The church is completely painted on two levels: the Festival eleven scenes at the top of the cycle, the images of saints on the bottom, the Crucifixion and the Ascension on the pediments. Almost all of the divine history passes before us on the temple walls. On the eastern end of the north wall of the artist depicted the scene Sacrifice of Isaac, and from both sides of the apse, at the Ascension of Christ, are the images of Old Testament kings - David and Solomon.
The history of the New Testament takes place in the upper tier of the south, west and north walls. It begins with the Nativity of the Virgin Mary and the introduction of Mary in the Temple, continues with scenes of the Annunciation, the Nativity, the introduction of Christ in the Temple and Baptism. On the west wall - Entry into Jerusalem and the Betrayal of Judas and the Crucifixion (on the front) and the prophets Isaiah and Jeremiah.
Exquisite beauty imbued with images of St. Barbara in the left part of the north wall and the Saints Constantine and Helen, on the other hand.
In the lush cherry orchards Mutullas old village, on one of the low hills, sheltered a small village church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the full title of which - Church of Our Lady Mutullas. This is another jewel in the precious necklace of the Troodos churches, protected by an international organization UNESCO.
Temple built the XIII century. His appearance austere and simple: the traditional one-storey rectangular building with a semicircular apse indispensable in the east - a symbol of belonging to eternity. It was the church of the Virgin Mutullas is a vivid example of the "rooftop" hramostroitelstva Cyprus.
The interior space of the church was once extended. Thanks to the north and west galleries not only increase the area of the temple, but there is an additional protection painting the exterior walls of the curiosities of the weather. On the date of completion of construction of the church reads the inscription below the image of donors, to allocate funds for its construction, Mutullasa John and his wife, Irene. In their hands they hold a small model of the temple, brought a gift to the Virgin Mary. The only nave of the church, with blank walls and mysterious dim, cramped and small volume, rather than, respectively, and a reduced number of frescoes. Their style, with large figures, devoid of plasticity, and the lack of colorful details, pretty conservative. The manner of artistic performance certainly reflects the mystical influence of the Crusaders.
The lower part of the western wall of the church is almost completely filled with images of women martyrs. Among them, the holy Maurus, St. Anastasia and St. Barbara in clothes embroidered with stones and with the royal crown on her head. Her image was discharged in the traditional Byzantine style of the XIII century. Here is also an extremely rare image of St. Marina. The image of the Holy Great illustration of the "Raising of Lazarus" and "Triumphal Entry of Jesus into Jerusalem."
In the center of the west wall fresco "Crucifixion". Interesting details can be found on the fresco of St. George. All, at first glance, looks like traditional holy warrior riding a bay horse, with a spear in chain mail and billowing red cloak. But with whom he was fighting? Humanoid dragon with a nude female figure, his head crowned, and coarse facial features. Its scaly tail curled into the dense ring. Hands monster barely hold a spear ready is about to pierce his neck. This unusual interpretation of the familiar image of the dragon suggests thinking about the semantic meaning of the story and the presence of overtones.
The image of the Last Judgement was created on the outside of the northern wall of the temple to the right of the entrance. The paintings are made on a thin layer of plaster, applied to a thick layer of clay mixed with straw. The complex thematic composition includes a lot of unique minisyuzhetov with rare, interesting details. Here, Christ the triple aura, and the apostles, in the nimbus of which the initials of their names.
Name of the artist - the creator of the ancient wall paintings in the ancient church of the Virgin in Mutullase - unknown to historians. Definitely we can say is that he painted in the XI century, local traditions, without neglecting, however, and modern trends. In his works, feels and oriental motifs, and elements of the so-called painting "crusaders", which is present in the European books and miniature icons of St. Catherine's Monastery in the Sinai. This is most clearly evident in the scenes that tell about the life of Christ is not the correct proportions of figures, big head, eyes wide open, a limited range of colors, the lack of halftones, naive expression, the dominant red color. However, all this attracts, fascinates and creates a soulful emotional sphere in this small cozy village church.
On a hill near the center of the picturesque mountain village of Paleochora, known under this name since the end of XIII century and belonged to the Hospitallers, it remained rare Byzantine monuments - the temple of the Transfiguration. The exact date of the founding of the church is unknown: historians date this event is the beginning of the XVI century.
The architectural style of the old stone building with a steep gabled slate roof was typical for the churches of the Troodos mountains. A small rectangular structure, as usual, ends with a semicircular apse in the east with a spherical dome. The interior of a single nave decorated with two arched niches, located on opposite sides of the altar. Cross wooden beams support the roof and full of openwork carving and rich floral ornaments. Attached in the XVII century the narthex (lobby) in the form of a covered gallery on the western and southern sides of the building helped to save up to now some fragments of painting the exterior walls, dating back to 1612 year, as the inscription on the inside of the door lintel. Restored church twice in 1655 and 1874 years. Today, the temple of the Transfiguration of Christ surrounds a small cobbled courtyard, the design of which was created with the direct participation of the Leventis Foundation. In 2001 was 351bis numbered according to I, II, III, IV and VI of the criteria of this ancient church was included in the UNESCO heritage list.
The special value of the church - its many murals that cover the entire interior of the nave and the most fully represent the iconographic cycle of biblical scenes the Byzantine era. Unfortunately, the creation of paintings and artist's name are uncertain. However, the stylistic resemblance to the style of Philip Gula, going on in the churches of the Holy Cross in Agiasmati and St. Mamas in Luvarase at the end of the XV century, as well as the technique of the faces of the saints, inherent to the artist Simeon Aksentisu painted the Sagrada Sozomenos, Virgin Podithou and Archangel Michael in Galata in early XVIveka allowed Cypriot scientists to suggest that the Church in Paleochora was decorated in the second decade of the XVI century.
The temple in the ancient village has been erected in honor of the most important holiday of the Church - the Transfiguration of Christ, which symbolizes the phenomenon of the kingdom of God on earth. The church icon of Transfiguration of Our Lord, made at the beginning of the eighteenth century, a famous artist Matheus Kotlomosiosom the sacred Mount Athos, now adorns the old gilded iconostasis, painted in symbolic colors: red (the color of the blood of Christ), and blue (the color of the sky). It takes its place alongside the traditional icon of the Savior to the right of the royal doors, where it should be an icon, which is dedicated to the temple.
The altar of the temple imprinted image of the Virgin Orans (Ladies archangels). It depicts a full-length with raised hands to the sky and surrounded by the archangels Michael and Gabriel. Her face was discharged in an unusual manner, which was previously in Cyprus are not met. The special effect is achieved by a halo of white numerous divergent rays, which, combined with diffuse light, creating an awesome beauty of the artistic image.
The traditional scene of the central zone of the apse - Communion of the Apostles - one of the most beautiful songs of the church. Here on both sides of the arch bend sealed known images of the two holy brothers Cosmas and Damian. Just above the southern niche to the right of the iconostasis captured the image of Mary of Egypt, which is quite common in churches of Cyprus. Next on the south wall of the nave is reproduced a number of scenes from the life of Christ, including Christmas, Baptism, Raising of Lazarus, Transfiguration and Entry into Jerusalem. On the west wall of the description of the life of Christ set aside two of upper tiers. Here you can see the Last Supper, Washing of the Feet, the suffering in the garden and betrayal of Judas. Below - Peter's denial, The Mocking of Christ and others. Next paintings go on the north wall of the nave. The path here and martyr, and Mourning, and the Resurrection, and Ascension. Average space nave filled images of saints and apostles who, as required by the canons discharged from the front and full length. The well-preserved old iconostasis 1704 year decorated with gold leaf and painted in symbolic colors - red and blue. Royal gates to sozhaleniiyu not preserved. Most of the icons painted by famous artist Mateus Kotlomosiosa from Mount Athos, they referred to the creation of the first years of the XVIII century. He is also credited with creating the icon of the Transfiguration of Christ and the restored copy of the most ancient icon of the Virgin and Child.
Wall painting of the church of the Transfiguration in the village of Paleochora is a rare example of a monumental religious painting. This is a serious and significant contribution to a unique collection of spiritual values in Cyprus, which has not remained without attention of the world public. Today, the temple in Paleochora rightfully holds a worthy place in the world treasury of rare and ancient churches in the world.
In the mountain village of Kalopanaetis stands an ancient monastery, named after St. John the Cypriot Lampadistis. His church can serve as a real guide to the history of Christianity, for here a steep gable roof adjoin two temples and a Latin chapel, harmoniously combining elements from different centuries, eras and styles, architectural and artistic.
The oldest church of the monastery is dedicated to the first bishop of Cyprus holy Iraklidisu. It was founded in the XI century. Architectural style - a cross-domed church. The central dome of the church and the only one supported by four pillars, built to the walls. Buildings of this type is always less suffered from earthquakes, which in this mountainous terrain often occurred. The temple is decorated with old paintings, fragments of which dated XII century, are present in the decoration of the apse and in our time. On a small piece of plaster preserved dissected a couple kneeling monks so bizarre band Byzantine ornament. In the XIII century on top of the first paintings were made new, mix together the elements of different styles: Byzantine (komninovskogo) east and west. In the XV century temple again updated the decor, causing a fresh layer of plaster. Number of paintings increased, but the size of the compositions decreased significantly as a result of what they have lost their monumentality. From the XIII century frescoes to the present day we survived only a few well-known stories of the New Testament such as the Triumphal Entry of Christ into Jerusalem, the Crucifixion and the Resurrection of Lazarus. A series of frescos of the XV century belongs to the later Byzantine period. It is extensive and includes over 30 stories of the New Testament. Preserved in the temple and the ancient iconostasis, which is more like its predecessor - templon. It is a low partition, separating once the altar of the hall with the parishioners. It dates back to the XIII century.
The second church of the monastery complex, built in the XII century, is named after St. John the Cypriot Lampadistis, it so far buried his miraculous power. Above them, the inscriptions of pilgrims from different countries, including the Russian monk Barsky comments.
The supernatural power of the Holy relics continued to attract a huge number of pilgrims, and there was a need to expand the interior space of the church. Then, in the northern wall of the temple of the Holy Iraklidisa cut down the arched passageway connecting together the two churches. Then they added a long covered gallery, which also served as both churches lobby. All vaults and its walls decorated with paintings, many of which are spared the time and day. The inscriptions preserved on the southern wall of the narthex, argue that the artist worked on the frescoes, came to the island from Constantinople. However, the images created by them, do not shine court grace, but rather give provinciality. A considerable area of the walls of the narthex holds composition of the Last Judgment.
Apparently, the church for some time served and Catholic rites and rituals. The researchers believe that this was possible only after the adoption of 1439 in Florence Cathedral at the joint Orthodox and Catholic churches decision on union (association), which has signed and Russian Metropolitan. This compromise Byzantine emperor and Byzantine church went temporarily, hoping to get support from the West in the fight against the Turkish expansion. This solution suits the Catholic Kings of Cyprus, who were then in power, however, among the orthodox population of the island to support it has received.
Today, the unique monastery complex of St. Lampadistis protected by UNESCO.
Ancient Byzantine church of the Virgin Arakiotissy located just off the main road from Nicosia to the Troodos Mountains, between the mountain villages of Lagoudera and Sarandi. Researchers believe that the church appeared at the end of the XII century., Presumably shortly before the arrival of the Crusaders. To this day it preserved the church and a small two-storey monastery building with cells overlooking the sundeck, which is supported by large wooden poles.
Architecturally the church is a one-nave structure with vaulted high dome resting on a drum with twelve narrow windows. In the XIV century. It was attached to the narthex, which in the XVII century once again destroyed and replaced by a new, much larger, which made it possible to make the church more spacious and roomy.
To protect the temple from the bad weather, the second roof has been built - steep and sloping, covered the flat tiles and goes far beyond the walls. It is possible to create the protruding part around the church atrium (hall), protected on all sides by a wooden lattice. The dome of the church was covered with a separate small roof. These additional details that emerged somewhat later, probably in the XIV century, helped to keep the painting, which is fully covered not only the interior of the temple, but its exterior walls.
Wall frescoes in Lagoudera, according to experts, the most striking example of monumental painting of the end of the XII century. During these years, we worked in Cyprus, many brilliant artists who create their masterpieces, but the painting of the church are simply unique. According to experts, such examples are not preserved even in Constantinople. Colors, proportions, use of space, petite, graceful posture - all done masterfully, with meticulous care of the small details, barely visible to the inquisitive eyes. Feeling pattern, form and rhythm that was already evident in the paintings of the church of Asinou, were developed here in the true movement, expressed in flowing robes and dramatic gestures, which contrast with the peace and quiet. Many researchers, for example, A. and J. Stylianou, Marina Solomidu-Ieronitidu converge on the idea that the creator of these paintings was Theodor Apsevdis - Greek artist who has mastered in the court workshops of Constantinople virtuoso technique and skill mural. His paintings graced the whole historical period of the Byzantine Empire and was later adopted and perfected by the Italian creators frescoes XIII - XIV centuries.
Church in the list of World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO 1985 years.
Asinou Church of Our Lady (Panagia Forviotissa) in Nikitari under UNESCO protection with 1985 years. This church - the only surviving part of the Forviyskogo monastery, founded in the year 1099 Nikifor Iskhiriem. Information about the monastery contained in the inscriptions on temple murals. Monastery of the Virgin of Asinou acted even in XV - XVI centuries. In the period of Turkish rule the monastery grew poorer, reduced the number of monks, but Compound in Nikitari continued to exist. At the end of the XVI and early XVII centuries, the monastery fell into disrepair, the monks gradually left him, buildings in ruins, and then completely disappeared Asinou Church remained the only reminder of Forviotiyskom monastery.
Asinou Church of Our Lady (Panagia Forviotissa) in Nikitari under UNESCO protection with 1985 years. This church - the only surviving part of the Forviyskogo monastery, founded in the year 1099 Nikifor Iskhiriem. Information about the monastery contained in the inscriptions on temple murals. Monastery of the Virgin of Asinou acted even in XV - XVI centuries. In the period of Turkish rule the monastery grew poorer, reduced the number of monks, but Compound in Nikitari continued to exist. At the end of the XVI and early XVII centuries, the monastery fell into disrepair, the monks gradually left him, buildings in ruins, and then completely disappeared Asinou Church remained the only reminder of Forviotiyskom monastery.
The uniqueness of the temple - a combination of the vaulted ceiling and the roof, which can be seen in the church of St. Nicholas near the village of Kakopetria. In addition, the temple attracts a richness and diversity of paintings collected on its walls, in addition to the canonical Gospel subjects, a large body of images of Christian saints from different corners of the earth. Asinou Church of Our Lady of the type besstolpnyh temples, the interiors of which the blades are often replaced with arched niches. So here, the northern and southern walls have three blind arches, and the average wider and higher side. Three entrances to the temple located in the middle of pri¬merno northern, southern and western walls. Pillarless churches usually had a little window in the church of Asinou have one lancet over the western door in the apse and on the north and south door semicircular lunettes.
The murals of the temple can be considered not only an encyclopedia of images, but also an encyclopedia of styles and influences in Cyprus religious painting. Early paintings dated 1105 / 6 years, they depict Saints Constantine and Helen, modern images of them can be found on the western and eastern walls, parts of the southern and northern walls. The rest of the frescoes of the period or covered by later layers or re-registered.
The altar in addition to the canonical Gospel scenes come down to us from the XII century (Communion of the Apostles, Ascension, Annunciation, Communion Mary of Egypt, The Nativity and the Presentation in the Temple) preserved image of St. Nicholas, Gregory the Theologian and John Chrysostom, Ignatius of Antioch, and Dionysius the Areopagite . The manner of execution of the frescoes of the XII century by the Byzantine tradition of painting corresponds to the era Comneni, hereinafter referred to as the history of culture "komnenian restoration." At that time, complicated technology, intensified individualization of images, apparently associated with a change in the ideals of beauty. At the same time, the artistic language komninovskoy painting differs extraordinary capacity, used its basic elements with distinct characteristics: symmetry of construction, the large scale of shapes, broad shoulders and powerful neck, simple silhouettes, strong rounded shape of the head and face, crisp lines and the allocation of construction of figures.
An important part of the church is the narthex - outbuilding that appeared, apparently, at the end of the XII century. On the northern and southern sides of the semicircular-eksedry, himself narthex closed dome without drum. The earliest fresco narthex - Forviotissa Virgin in the tympanum of the arch above the western entrance.
At the beginning of the XIV century during the restoration work killed many frescoes of the early period, however, the system murals of the church acquired a wider chronological character.
Icon of Saint John the Baptist, which is in the Byzantine Museum in Nicosia, was transferred from the church of the Virgin of Asinou.
The first ski club in Cyprus was established in 1947 year. While resorts Troodos used only in the summer, when the government sorts out under the shadow of the mountain pines to escape the heat of the coast. The pioneers of skiing in the Troodos Mountains of Cyprus traveled on foot because the road if not cleared of snow. Now a lot easier: got in the car and come. Wonderful trail to the highest point in Cyprus - Mount Olympus (1951m), and the ski slope is equipped with everything you need (even lift available).
Alpine monastery, is the largest publisher of Orthodox literature. This beautiful monastery was founded in the XIII century. The church, preserved to this day dates back to 1731 year. It exhibited a lot of amazing icons including a priceless icon of the Mother of God in gilded salary from Asia Minor, crowded religious fair is held here in August 15.
Half way to the village of Prodromos to the village at an altitude of Pissouri 1392 meters is one of the most beautiful monasteries of Cyprus, named in honor of the Mother of God Trooditissa. Built on the southern slopes of the Troodos mountain range among thick pine forest, over the millennia, this monastery was the spiritual stronghold of Orthodox people living on this earth.
The name of the icon Trooditissa was given this miraculous image on the name of the Troodos mountain range, where the monastery is located. English explorer S. Baker (1821-1893), who lived in a monastery in the year 1879, figuratively said that this monastery is the closest to heaven.
Traditionally, the foundation of the monastery is associated with the appearance of icons in Cyprus, which, according to legend, was painted by St. Luke and brought to the island during the period of iconoclasm ascetic monk. His name history has not preserved. He arrived on the island about 762 787 years before he lived in the monastery of St. Nicholas at Akrotiri, is at the VI Ecumenical Council in the reign of Empress Irene of Athens was not restored the veneration of icons. After the triumph of Orthodoxy the monk left the monastery in a secluded place, taking with him an icon. This place has become a cave not far from the modern monastery, which is known today as the Cave Trooditissa. Then came the difficult years for Cyprus. This is the period of Arab raids. Unknown monk died, perhaps during one of them. Icon seemed to be lost forever. But through the years it proved to be a newfound sanctuary. And in place of its acquisition in the year based 990 monastery. Create monastery dates back to the next legend.
A godly shepherd from a nearby village noticed the unusual mysterious light over the mountain. With other pious Christians with great difficulty he reached the cave and found in it the miraculous icon of Our Lady in front of her and kindled the lamp.
Seeing this, the inhabitants of the surrounding places have decided to build next to the cave temple in honor of the Virgin. Work began. But the fact that it was built during the day, night destroyed. Perhaps the desire of the Virgin was different. Ktitorov (builders) temple angel appeared and pointed out the place where the temple is to be built - in 500 meters west of the cave. 3 After a few months, the monastery was built, and the temple he had dwelt miraculous icon. He was decorated with wall paintings, and many people came to worship the icon. And the cave, where it was found, was consecrated in honor of the Transfiguration of the Lord.
Unfortunately, the history of the monastery with 990 1570 years remains unexplored. About the period of French rule has been preserved evidence of life of the monastery. Turkish domination was even greater challenge to the monastery. She was burned and completely destroyed. Fortunately, the icon survived. Between 1600 and 1650 years the monastery is reviving, but fifty years later because of the tax burden, he moved to the position of the monastery Monastery of St. disinterested Cosmas and Damian Feeney. This went on with 1703 1760 years. Russian pilgrim Vasily Barsky in 1735 he visited the monastery. His walk is described as a small church and the poor, in which lives a single monk.
In 1842 the monastery suffered a disaster: massive fire destroyed the monastery buildings. Through the efforts of Abbot Meletios (1838-1854), the monastery was rebuilt, and it was then constructed the main temple, which has come down to our days. It was decorated with a new iconostasis, pulpit, were acquired liturgical utensils and vessels. How to Kykkos Monastery and the holy abode Maher, Trooditissa in those years took care of the school.
In 1856 year when abbot Hermann was built a wooden gilded iconostasis, by its grace and beauty on a par with the iconostasis of the main temple of the monastery and the church Kykkotissa St. Lazarus in Larnaca. Already in this century, when the monastery was under threat of depopulation and the number of inhabitants has decreased, Paphos Metropolitan Leonty invited four brothers from the monastery of Stavrovouni, translated it into the category of kinoviynyh (coenobite) under the authority of the father of Damascus. His work was continued by Archimandrite Pankratov arrived from the Patriarchate of Alexandria, at the invitation of Metropolitan Leonty. Pancras and the efforts to help the Virgin in the monastery came the day of prosperity and affluence.
The shrine of the monastery - the miraculous icon of Our Lady of 1799 year was decorated with silver frame works iconographer John Crete. Salaried Virgin Mary holding the Christ on his right hand, crowned by two angels. The icons in the iconostasis are mostly made in the XIX century, although there are fine examples of earlier iconographic tradition XVII and XVIII centuries. Leake St. John the Evangelist, Archangels Michael and Gabriel - bright and expressive examples of the influence of Italian art of the Byzantine school. In 1999 the main church was painted by Cypriot artists. Miraculous Icon of the Mother of God Trooditissa known for being on the facing many childless women receive and receive the gift of procreation, were healed of their ailments, to whom the powerless are the best doctors. The miraculous manifestations of the Divine Will, regardless of nationality and religion asking us repeatedly told the monk Barnabas. It usually comes out of his cell a large cardboard box with pictures of happy mothers with happy smiling children. These pictures are sent from Greece, Denmark, Germany, Russia, the Netherlands, South Africa and other countries - is one of gratitude to the Virgin Mary and the monastery.
Miraculous Icon Trooditissa, if you look at it from the side of the altar, is unusual. Straight to the board, on the other side of which is written the face of the Virgin, pierced stone. There is an ancient monastic tradition of how a childless woman, molivshaya Virgin the child, made a vow that if the Lord will send a boy, then give it to the monastery vospitaniikom. If a girl, then she raised her pious Christian. The Lord heard the prayer, and the woman had a son. As he grew older, he was sent to the monastery as a novice. After a while, I did not withstand the mother's heart, she wanted to see their child and take him home. And in that moment, when the woman's son led away from the monastery, passing icons, a teenager fell from the wall rock. Icon as if covering a boy, taking the brunt. Since then, in the iconic board has remained a piece of sharp rock.
Among the relics of the monastery there are miraculous times, whose origin is lost in the mists of time. It is said that it belonged to one of the women, who through the prayers of the Mother of God has been granted to the child. In gratitude, she left her expensive jewelry in the monastery. And now praying for the gift of this blessed child wear a belt, the priest reads a special prayer, and everyone who asks receives according to his faith. A photo in a cardboard box his father Barnabas getting bigger.
Today is the abbot of the monastery, Archimandrite Athanasius, known throughout Cyprus for its great educational activities. With his blessing the work of his assistant Archimandrite Christopher and other monastic brothers organized a publishing house, has released in recent years, several interesting books about Orthodoxy in the modern world, new heresies and pseudo-occult organizations. Under the spiritual tutelage of Archimandrite Athanasius are several convents, in due time under the auspices of the monastery was built Trooditissa the convent of Our Lady near Nicosia.
The monastery operates a bookstore with a wide selection of Christian literature in different languages. And if you happen to visit the monastery, be sure to buy the monastery of apples. The brothers are grown on the slopes of the Troodos, perhaps the best, most delicious apples in Cyprus. They are always sold at traditional fairs, which take place at the monastery walls in honor of the patron saint's feast of the Assumption of the Virgin 14-15 / 27-28 of August.
located at an altitude of 1402 meters above sea level, it is the vysokoraspolozhennoy village on the island and is famous for its orchards. In the village you can see St. Nicholas Church with wall paintings.
These lie in the northern foothills of the Troodos villages especially loved by the residents of the capital Nicosia that the weekend coming to Kakopetria and Galata, that at least for the duration of their green shady streets forget about reigning in the city heat. It has everything to relax: a few small hotels, beautiful nature and fine restaurants in which one of the most popular dishes is a delicious sauce cooked trout (in Greek - pestrofa). The main attractions are the church made to the UNESCO World Heritage List.
This lies at the northern foothills of the Troodos village is particularly loved by the residents of the capital Nicosia that the weekend coming to Kakopetria. In order to at least temporarily its green shady streets forget about reigning in the city heat. It has everything to relax: a few small hotels, beautiful nature and fine restaurants in which one of the most popular dishes is a delicious sauce cooked trout (in Greek - pestrofa).
In the center of the village is the "bad stone" which gave the name to the village. According to legend, in ancient times to marry the couple had three times run around the stone. One day another pair of newlyweds ran a stone fell dead - since the stone and they called the "bad".
Close to Kakopetria there is another point of interest - the church of Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis (Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis), built in 11 century. This is typical of the Byzantine church of that era. Decorated with frescoes.
Galata - a world cultural heritage by UNESCO.
The village is named Galata is located just one kilometer north of the village of Kakopetria. Landmark Galata are 4 churches, two of which - Podithou Panagia (Panagia Podithou) and Panagia Theotokos (Panagia Theotokos), built in 16 century. In the painting of these churches are read not only the Byzantine, Venetian and motives, which automatically brings them to the list of attractions that are of particular interest for science in general and for individual judges. Church of Panagia Podithou included in the list of World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO, which in itself means a lot.
In the vicinity of the places marked on the map of Cyprus as the Troodos Resort are many equipped campsites. You can barbecue with friends or just go on a picnic with his family on nature.
Troodos Forest itself is a tourist attraction. These untouched by civilization huge (by the standards of the Cyprus of course) area of pristine nature are carefully preserved by the state. This is where you can really breathe fresh and clean air proud that excites no worse than a good wine.
This waterfall is often called the highest on the island. But this is not the case, there are even higher. However, without doubt, Caledonia is the most popular and picturesque waterfall Cyprus. By paved the Cyprus Tourism Organisation and the Forestry Department footpath annually waterfall is visited by tens of thousands of people.
With trout farm Platres routed through the mountains hiking trail to a waterfall Caledonia. Traveling through the mountains of Cyprus, be sure shoes comfortable shoes (running shoes, for example). To reach the waterfall, you have to walk along a narrow path, stepping over streams on stepping stones.
The path leading to the Caledonian Falls, winds along the river Krios Potamos. Covered with pine forest with dense undergrowth ravine replaced glades, among which loom large century-old pine trees. Hills covered with low prickly juniper, creeping on stones, alternating low mountain ledges, which overcomes the creek without any problems. Along the trail grow golden oak (which is one of the symbols of Cyprus), alder, sycamore and arbutus, reddish-brown bark which glows like through the thicket.
Among the small, just above the knee, and barberry bushes rosehip found tablets with inscriptions in English and Latin, telling about plants, bushes and trees nearby.
The waterfall Caledonia - 13 meters. It is located at an altitude of 1330 meters above sea level on the river Krios Potamos (which in Greek means "Cold River"), north of the village of Pano Platres.
According to one version, its name was due to the waterfall one of the Scots back in 1878 year. He argued that the Cyprus landscape around the waterfall reminds him of his distant Scotland, which in ancient times was called Caledonia. History has not preserved the name of the Scot, who compared Cyprus with their homeland, but the name stuck behind a waterfall Caledonian.
Trout farm is located on a main road in the Troodos, in the village of Pano Platres. Here you can see how divorces trout and even taste it in the tavern located here.
The farm is located at the beginning of the path to the Falls Calydon. If you're curious to see the real, live trout and sturgeon (which is quite rare in Cyprus), it will be interesting, because on the farm all water tanks and artificial waterfalls to enrich the water with oxygen ustroiny way to as close to the natural conditions of nature.
Waterfall Millomeris as Caledonia, situated on the cold river Cyprus - Krios Potamos ("Cold River" in Greek). The crystal clear water rushes down down 15-meter-high, giving it the right to a waterfall called the highest on the island.
Earlier, the road to the waterfall was rough, so it was little known. A few years ago cleared the approaches to the waterfall: a path cleared stones, threatening the lives and health of pedestrians. Not far from the foot of the waterfall it was built a wooden bridge, which will greatly facilitate the travelers crossing the riverbed.
According to one version, the name of the waterfall Millomeris comes from two Greek words: Milos, which means "wet wet" and Meris - "place", meaning "wet place". According to another version, a waterfall named after the mill (Milos - in Greek also mill), which was once in the surrounding area.
Here grow pine, cypress, ivy, everlasting, woodruff and the Cypriot variety of asters. From branch to branch fluttering miniature dipper, big tits, jays curious, always hurrying thrushes, deadpan crested crow pikas fussy and shy crossbills.
On the rocks, the sun bask in the glow of a lizard, but the other inhabitants of the Cyprus forests, which are mentioned in the guidebooks of the Troodos unable to meet rarely. Maybe you're lucky and you will see a chameleon, squirrel, rabbit, or even admire the majestic flight of the royal eagle.
Get to the waterfall Millomeris two ways.
Walking distance from the church in the village Faneromeni Pano Platres. A walking trail starts at 100 meters from the church. Its length - just over 1200 meters. Travel time - about an hour.
To reach by car from the village of Pera Pedi, breaking 4,2-kilometer stretch of road, or from the village of Pano Platres napravleniiyu to Moniatis. The length of this section of the road - 3,8 km.
Foini village famous for its pottery and oriental sweets "Lukumi." Visitors can get acquainted with a rather interesting special exhibition of pottery in the family home Pilavaki.
This waterfall is located on the River Mesa Potamos (from the Greek "internal river"). It is located to the north-west of the village Saytas, at an altitude of one kilometer above sea level. The waterfall - 7 meters. Water falls first on a platform of solid rock, and then slides down, getting on a second platform. Therefore, this waterfall is called double.
By the waterfall can be reached on 5-kilometer dirt road from the village Saytas. If you start from the village of Moniatis, then to the waterfall can be reached, breaking the back road length 5,5 km. The waterfall is located in 6 km from the village of Platres.
You can combine a visit to the waterfall with a picnic, arranged in a specially designated place (picnic place) c of the same name Mesa Potamos (another name - Arkolahanias). Overcoming 200 meters along a footpath leading down, you can be at the waterfall.
In the vicinity of the waterfall is the Monastery of Timios Prodromos, founded in the XI century.
This previously abandoned, but now revived monastery is located near the village of Pissouri, near the waterfall of the same name.
Waterfall Hantara (Handarov) is located on the river Potamos Diplos (which in Greek means "Double river" or "river with two channel"). Sometimes the river is also called Troodotissa (ie, "located in the Troodos"). Falls got its name from the Greek word "Andara" means "the sound of water."
The waterfall - 8 meters. It is located at an altitude of 1035 meters above sea level. Near the waterfall there is a trout farm, where you can buy fresh fish, which can be prepared, returning home after a trip to the waterfall.
Visit Hantara waterfall is one of the points of a one-day "jeep safari" in the Troodos Mountains, offers local travel agencies.
The shortest way - get to the waterfall (on foot or by car) along a country road that starts at the village of Fini. Distance - 1,5 km.
Another option - to get to the waterfall on the road (part of it is asphalted) from the village of Pano Platres. The length of the road - 5,5 km.
You can also go to the Hantare after visiting the monastery Trooditissa. From the surroundings of the monastery to the waterfall leads a country road stretching 3,5 km.
Ideal - to go to the waterfall with someone who has been there and knows how to get there.
You can combine a visit to the waterfall with a visit to the village of Fini, who is famous for pottery maker. Do not miss the Folk Art Museum Fanis Pilavakisa where you can gather a lot of information about the now endangered Cyprus pottery.
The village, famous for its wine-making tradition, was once owned by Sir John de Brie, Prince of Galilee. Right in the middle of the village, on the cobbled square, stands the monastery "Stavros" (Holy Cross). The village also has a small museum of the national liberation struggle. The old house has been restored traditional wine press "Linos".
In the picturesque village of Omodos create an extraordinary atmosphere at home mostly white or light colors, entwined with vines and bright flowers. The clean mountain air, pastoral bleating of sheep, the nearest beach - in 17 kilometers. Complete harmony in the relationship with nature. Omodos if specially created for its narrow streets along the white houses with blue shutters wandered spellbound tourists. In Omodos, even the most generous with praise people can not stand in admiration and recognized that they were in a fairy tale.
Exploring the needs and preferences of tourists arriving on the island, the Cyprus Tourism Organisation (STO) is trying to expand the range of services to the tourism industry. Cyprus has become increasingly popular so-called "natural" tourism. With 1992 offer tourists a year, a "piece of country life." Sophisticated Germans and the British have long explored how wonderful can be a vacation in Cyprus away from the neon lights of cities and noisy hotels.
Omodos is located on the slopes of the Troodos mountain range among the many vineyards. Its inhabitants managed to preserve the historic flavor and originality. The village of winemakers in his time belonged to Sir John de Brie, the Duke of Galilee - one of the most beautiful in Cyprus. There are a lot of shady arbors, intricately entwined with wild grapes, a lot of bright, beautiful, lovingly cultivated flowerbeds. It was here in 327 year visited the monastery of St. Helen, and it Omodos a long time was the only center of education and literature on the island. In Omodos biggest key is stored on the island - the key to the gate of the monastery of the Holy Life-Giving Cross. In the church of the monastery there are Russian icons.
Where you can buy local embroidery, glassware handmade sweets (tiny tangerines in syrup, candied nuts, figs, dates, sudzukos), but more importantly than the famous village - this wine. Stamps "Herolimo", "Linos", "Marion," are valued and Cypriots and visitors of the island. In Omodos, you can visit the ancient wine-press and press to see the apparatus for the preparation zivania. Every year in August in the village wine festival is held.
In Omodos can stay in Cyprus house and lead a relaxed lifestyle. Enjoy a delicious healthy homemade food: fabulous cheese halloumi, fat milk and a thick pair of fresh mutton. Take part in the harvest of olive and citrus groves, and take home a bottle of aromatic olive oil which does not flow into the city shops. Watch the artisans in the workshops as works of folk art are born.
The village has an ethnographic museum, located in a house in which to live for years 400 generations of one family Cyprus. The house garrulous Socrates Sokratis presented traditional interior typical Cypriot Village house, which is the pride of the loom on which even Socrates grandmother wove clothes for the whole family. Maybe you're lucky and the owner of the house-museum will put the record petrol Cypriot music on the gramophone.
"First of all apartments are extremely narrow - wrote one of the guest houses Omodos. - The lion's share of their bed covers - a sort of alcove with antique four-poster bed: very tall, an impressive and reliable. Next - a chest of drawers, decorated with accessories are not our times: old watch, bronze candlesticks, dim Bezmenov. If you get off the bed to the left, then to the locker upreshsya if the right - then find yourself either in the kitchen or in the bathroom.
Tightness in these apartments is quite natural, because everything is natural as 100 years ago (we are, of course, on the dimensions and not about plumbing and air conditioning). From a tiny little window shed a dim light, lying on the floor mat grandmother, silence - in a stone pit. If not for the bed, a dresser and a rug, one would think that we were not in the apartment, and in the monk's cell. "
To live a week in the lap of nature in the spartan conditions - employment for everybody. But in the future, according to SRT, agrotourism in Cyprus - this is not a modest room with a 3-4-occupancy in rural buildings, and these mini-hotel level 3-4 stars with antique furniture and elements of civilization, without which the tourists in the village lure: a well-equipped bathrooms, swimming pools, tennis courts, fireplaces.
You can come to the village and on the spot to rent a room or a house. Locals necessarily tell you how to find Pantelis House (House on 4-5 people, 2 bedrooms, located a minute's walk from the village square, the price - of 18 to 35 pounds depending on the season), Marios House (House on 4 man 2 bedrooms, 500 meters from the village square, the price - of 17 to 32 pounds; the owner lives in the house opposite, so guests of the house at the time of becoming members of his close-knit family) or Stavris House (House on 2-3 person, 1 bedrooms, 500 meters from the village square, the price - of 16 26 pounds before; you can get acquainted with the village priest, who lives with his family homeowner Stavri). Beforehand, you can rent a house near Ioannis Agathocleous (tel. 25-421-376). If you wish, you can stay in located at the entrance to the village Omodos Panthea Motel with stunning views of the countryside and mountains.
In the old country house you can see an ancient wine press Linos and traditional setting of the village houses in Cyprus. Here hospitable host will treat you to homemade wine.
The main attraction of the village of Omodos is the Monastery of the Holy Cross. In the church of the monastery is kept a particle of the Holy Cross, the bonds of Christ, and the head of the Apostle Philip. The monastery is decorated with ancient icons and exquisite wood carvings.