In his speech, the head of state touched upon issues of international relations, sanctions, nuclear disarmament, economy and presidential elections in the Russian Federation.
Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke at the meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club. The head of state also answered the questions of the participants of the event. During the speech, a wide range of problems were touched upon, ranging from international relations to the history of Russia. The main statements of the head of state are in the TASS material.
On the solution of international problems
- The most complex "nodes" - whether a crisis in Syria or Libya, on the Korean peninsula or in Ukraine - must be unraveled, not cut down, Putin believes.
- The President stated that many of the old recipes for overcoming conflicts are no longer suitable, and new ones have not been developed yet.
- "It's time for the world to abandon the obsolete agenda, we need to look forward, stop looking back."
- In a changing world, one can not afford not to be flexible, open, capable of a quick and accurate reaction, said the head of state.
On the reform of the UN
- Putin believes that the UN, with its universal legitimacy, must remain the center of the international system, there is no alternative for today.
- Improving the UN system is necessary, but reforms can only be gradual.
- A number of states sometimes try to question the right of veto in the UN Security Council, while this mechanism was conceived as a guarantee against arbitrariness and adventures, the president noted.
- The basic principles of the UN should be preserved, "there is no other structure capable of reflecting the entire palette of world politics."
- The recent sanction package, adopted by the US Congress, is aimed at driving Russia out of the European energy markets, Putin said.
- "A policy based on self-confidence, selfishness, claims to one's own exclusivity, neither respect, nor true greatness will not bring," the president stressed.
- The theme of Magnitsky is used in the West to inflate another anti-Russian hysteria, although at the heart of this story lies ordinary crime.
- Russia will instantly and mirror respond to the restrictions of Russian media in the West, the head of state promised.
- Putin also noted that "with a weak partner they do not count, they do not talk to him, his interests are not taken into account, so in this case we will act only in a mirror and quickly enough."
On Russian-American relations and relations with NATO
- An unprecedented anti-Russian campaign has been launched in the United States, Putin said. "Someone lost the election to Mr. Trump, all the blame was laid on Russia and unfolded simply an angry anti-Russian hysteria," he said.
- The President is convinced that problems in relations between Russia and the US can be resolved, but for this it is necessary to work together on this.
- Inside the United States, they show disrespect to Trump, Putin lamented. In his opinion, this is a regrettable negative component of the American political system. The President believes that "you can argue, but you can not show disrespect - not even to Trump personally, but to those people who voted for him."
- The unpredictability of the American president is associated with great resistance within the United States, but the Russian Federation will work with him, despite the difficulties.
- Putin does not see a threat from the activation of NATO in Eastern Europe and the Baltics. "Let them train there!" - he said.
On Nuclear Disarmament, Chemical Weapons and the INF Treaty
- Russia will strive for universal nuclear disarmament, the president said. He noted that Russia more than 17 years ago ratified the treaty banning nuclear testing, and the US has not done so until now.
- Americans have access to all the top secret facilities of the Russian Federation, while the agreement was virtually unilateral.
- Russia hopes that the US will return to negotiations on the destruction of weapons-grade plutonium.
- Putin said that Moscow did not withdraw from the plutonium agreements, but suspended them, "expecting a normal, real reaction from the partners."
- START-3 is not very happy with the US, "we are not going to get out of it," the president said.
- "We do not return to the 50-ies, we are returned to 50-ies," Putin said.
- The United States moved the deadlines for the liquidation of its chemical weapons from 2007 to 2023 year. According to him, "for the state, proclaiming itself the champion in the field of non-proliferation and arms control, this is not honorable."
- The United States from the year 2014 virtually ceased to work under agreements with Russia in the peaceful use of nuclear energy.
- The president said that if the American partners have a desire to withdraw from the INF, "from our side the answer will be instant and mirror."
- The US missiles of aviation and sea basing both were before the treaty, and remained after its conclusion, "in fact, from the Soviet side it was unilateral disarmament." The situation leveled with the emergence of RF missiles "Caliber" and the like.
- Moscow will continue its efforts to prevent the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, the head of state stressed.
On the problems of Europe
- Europe actually welcomed the disintegration of a number of states on the continent, "not hiding the joy about this," the president said.
- "There are right fighters for independence and freedom, and there are separatists who can not defend their rights even with the help of democratic mechanisms."
- The creation of mono-national states is not a panacea for possible conflicts, Putin stressed.
- The West pressured the court to take a decision on Kosovo, the head of state said. Recognition of Kosovo's independence opened the "Pandora's box", new crises began to appear in the world, as in Catalonia.
On the situation in the Middle East and the fight against international terrorism
- Instead of inflicting a real blow to terrorism, rather than imitating the fight against it, some countries are doing everything to ensure that chaos in the Middle East is permanent, the president said.
- This policy has an alternative, which Russia showed in Syria.
- Putin noted that there is every reason to believe that terrorists in Syria "will soon be achieved, but this is not a reason to rejoice and believe that this is over."
- The threat of turning de-escalation zones into a section of Syria exists, but the Russian Federation hopes that the interaction of all forces in the country will allow this to be avoided, the head of state said.
- Russia intends to develop relations with Saudi Arabia and other countries of the Middle East, despite the ties of these countries with the United States.
On the situation on the Korean peninsula
- Putin called the situation around the DPRK dangerous. "Who knows where and what the North Koreans are hidden, and whether they can immediately hit with one stroke".
- The president doubted that a preventive strike against Pyongyang could be uniquely successful.
- Putin called for respect for the DPRK.
- "We unequivocally condemn the nuclear tests conducted by the DPRK and fully comply with all the North Korean decisions taken within the framework of the UN Security Council."
On the situation in Ukraine
- Putin said that he loves Ukraine and the Ukrainian people, and considers him "fraternal, if not part of the Russian people."
- Restoring the ties between Russia and Ukraine is necessary for both countries, the president noted, adding that Russia will do everything for the internal unification of Ukraine.
- He believes that closing the border between the Russian Federation and the republics in eastern Ukraine will lead to massacres there, Russia will never allow this.
- It is not possible to shift responsibility for the implementation of the Minsk agreements only to Russia. " The president said that the current authorities in Kiev are sabotaging the Minsk agreements, "everyone has realized for a long time that the current leadership of Ukraine is not able to fulfill them."
- "We need a democratic, friendly Ukraine," Putin said.
- The West must influence Kiev to resolve the conflict in Ukraine. Putin sees European partners as interested in resolving the Ukrainian crisis.
- "Today's situation is the result of unconstitutional armed seizure of power in Ukraine, and Europe is to blame for this, because it supported this coup," the head of state said.
- "We will maintain the Norman format as long as our colleagues want it, and we will strive to implement these Minsk agreements."
- The winner of the presidential election of 2018 will have to make the country flexible and highly competitive, the head of state said.
- Answering a question about whether a woman could become Russia's president, Putin said: "Everything is possible for us."
- Attempts to influence the elections in Russia with the help of the theme of the Olympics are doomed to failure and will have the opposite effect, the president believes.
- Putin called the humiliation of the country that the IOC is forced to either force Russia to act under a neutral flag, or not to admit to the Games at all.
- The president told the participants of the discussion club an anecdote in response to attempts to find out his plans for the election campaign of 2018.
About the economy
- Putin called the "fair" oil price of more than $ 50 per barrel.
- For the fourth consecutive quarter, the economy of the Russian Federation shows growth, for the entire history of the country there was not such a low inflation rate as is now observed - 3%, the president said.
- He expressed the hope that the Russian economy coped with the influence on it of such factors as low world prices for energy carriers and sanctions.
- Education should not be a conveyor, the Russian leader believes.
- "There must be an element of creativity in the education, the EGE limits this creativity," Putin said.
- According to the president, during the educational process, "we need to give an overview and then choose the most important, the most needed, the most promising for a particular young person, for a particular child."
About the Revolution of 1917
- The October Revolution of 1917 in Russia has given many advantages to Western countries, Putin believes.
- "The revolution is a consequence of a lack of responsibility as those who would like to conserve an obsolete order of things that clearly requires reorganization, and those who seek to spur change without stopping before civil conflicts."
- The President noted that the social model, the ideology, which the state tried to implement at the first stage after the revolution, gave a powerful stimulus for transformations around the world.